Broken Sword1 on new iMac

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jonny

Broken Sword1 on new iMac

Post by jonny »

Hi Just tried to run BS1 through new iMac after years of not being able to play... Followed tutorial in Revfans to the letter and seem to have all the necessary bits and pieces from the CDs in a folder in my Harddrive. But, of course, when I tried to "add game" on ScummVM, it couldn't find it.

I've also successfully downloaded the cutscenes, so the whole thing is there....somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword1 on new iMac

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jonny wrote:Hi Just tried to run BS1 through new iMac after years of not being able to play... Followed tutorial in Revfans to the letter and seem to have all the necessary bits and pieces from the CDs in a folder in my Harddrive. But, of course, when I tried to "add game" on ScummVM, it couldn't find it.

I've also successfully downloaded the cutscenes, so the whole thing is there....somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated :(
I think the files ScummVM looks for when trying to detect the game are swordres.rif, general.clu, compacts.clu and scripts.clu. (It also looks for cows.mad, but that's only present in the demo version of the game.)
jonny

Post by jonny »

Thanks Eriktorbjorn...
Yes these files (except Mad Cow) were in the clusters folder that I copied over. Except they don't have a .clu suffix, they are called .clm (except for the speech file whic IS called .clu)

Is it just a matter of renaming them?

Also, when I copied over the 2nd CD, because the main files (clusters, speech and music) were the same names as those on the 1st CD, I changed them to clusters2, speech2 and music2 in order to stop them being replaced.... was this a bad thing?? Surely not!

Peace

J
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jonny wrote:Thanks Eriktorbjorn...
Yes these files (except Mad Cow) were in the clusters folder that I copied over. Except they don't have a .clu suffix, they are called .clm (except for the speech file whic IS called .clu)
Is this the Macintosh version of Broken Sword 1? I'm afraid only the PC version is supported. It's possible that the Macintosh version would be easy to support, but as far as I know none of the developers have it.
johnny wrote:Is it just a matter of renaming them?
Probably not.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Yes it's the mac version....I'm using an imac. I DO also have the pc version (dedicated fan, see). But surely that wouldn't work....
Anyway, I renamed all the .clm files to clu. and....it found it! But then it crashed (and crashed and crashed) as soon as I pressed start. Any ideas? I'm going crazy here.

Peace

J
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

Yeah, use the PC version (since you have it)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jonny wrote:Yes it's the mac version....I'm using an imac. I DO also have the pc version (dedicated fan, see). But surely that wouldn't work....
Yes, it should. ScummVM replaces the original executable, and there is nothing in the data files that restrict them to any specific operating system. ScummVM just needs to know how to interpret them.
johnny wrote:Anyway, I renamed all the .clm files to clu. and....it found it! But then it crashed (and crashed and crashed) as soon as I pressed start. Any ideas? I'm going crazy here.
Unless the data files from the Macintosh version use the same format as the PC versions, that's to be expected. They probably use different byte order for storing values, or something like that.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hi again. Thanks for your help....hooray! With the PC disks it works....almost. I get the opening sequence fine right up to the point where it asks for disc 1 to be inserted. Then, when I insert it, it says "incorrect disc". Help!

Sorry to be a pain, but I've been looking forward to playing this again for YEARS!!!

Peace

J
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jonny wrote:Hi again. Thanks for your help....hooray! With the PC disks it works....almost. I get the opening sequence fine right up to the point where it asks for disc 1 to be inserted. Then, when I insert it, it says "incorrect disc". Help!

Sorry to be a pain, but I've been looking forward to playing this again for YEARS!!!
CD swapping in ScummVM is not supported, or at the very least barely tested. The easiest way to get around it is to simply copy all the necessary data files to hard disk, as described in the README file.

The exact layout of the files isn't important. This is what I have in my sword1 folder:
  • The file swordres.rif
  • The speech.clu files from CD 1 and 2, renamed speech1.clu and speech2.clu so ScummVM can tell them apart. (Mine are compressed, but that's an optional step.)
  • The 14 .clu data files, compacts.clu, general.clu, ireland.clu, maps.clu, paris1.clu, paris2.clu, paris3.clu, paris4.clu, scotland.clu, scripts.clu, spain.clu, syria.clu, text.clu and train.clu.
  • A music folder, containing all of the music from CD 1 and 2. Some of it appear on both, but in those cases the files are either identical, or so close to it that it makes little difference. This should be around 250 files, so I'm not going to list them. (Again, they can be optionally compressed.)
  • A video folder, containing the re-encoded cutscenes.
I hope I didn't forget any. In your case, it sounds like ScummVM failed to find paris1.clu.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Excellent! It works!! Got it to load the CD by copying over CD1.ID file. Only thing now is that I haven't worked out how to save. Press the esc button as usual? Didn't quite work for me this time around.

Peace

J
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jonny wrote:Excellent! It works!! Got it to load the CD by copying over CD1.ID file. Only thing now is that I haven't worked out how to save. Press the esc button as usual? Didn't quite work for me this time around.

Peace

J
Hmm... Looks like it will check for CD1.ID and CD2.ID if it thinks it's running the game from CD, i.e. if it can't find the CD 2 files. It's not necessary if you copy all the needed data files to your hard disk, as described above.

Anyway, ScummVM uses the F5 key to bring up the control panel dialog.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hmmmm...nope, F5 does nothing, unless I press the apple key as well and then I get a voiceover.

Peace

J
Jemima

Me too

Post by Jemima »

I have the same sort of problem. I'm also on an iMac... trying to get the PC version to work in Scumm (version 0.9.0).

I have all the required data files copied... as well as the video folder downloaded... as soon as i start the game it tells me that scumm has 'unexpectedly quit' yet it will keep showing me the intro cutscene until i click 'cancel' or hit escape.

I really don't know what is causing the problem as i have everything in the right place and have played plenty of other PC games successfully on my mac through scumm.

Thanks,
Jemima

P.S. incidentally F5 usually works for me to save games on my mac...
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hi
Sorry for late reply
I solved my particular problem (eventually) by pasting in the ID files (CD1.ID and CD2.ID) into my folder and then retrying....
This seemed to do the trick