FITD engine (was poll)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Adding FITD engine

Post by aquadran »

Please post comments too if you like.
Result of poll will help me take decision later time for eventually engine inclusion.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

mmm... computer says 'yes'.
:)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I'd say yes, I'm not a fan of the AitD series but it would fit in well with the project I think.
Spin

Post by Spin »

I love the whole Alone in the Dark series and the first part is a classic, so you got my vote.
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

Spin wrote:I love the whole Alone in the Dark series and the first part is a classic, so you got my vote.
so would i, spin. but its can't be part of this project, which is pure adventure game specific.

cheers
George22

Post by George22 »

garrythefish wrote:but its can't be part of this project, which is pure adventure game specific.
I never heard this from developers of the project. I vote for adding FITD.
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

AITD engine is a must have in my opinion. Also we have a great port of it with Yaz0rs FITD engine which is a lot of help.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

alexfont wrote:Also we have a great port of it with Yaz0rs FITD engine which is a lot of help.
I know that project, it's a good piece of software but it seems it lies abandoned since 2004. Of course, it's far from perfection but still a reasonable starting point; maybe the author has also some docs about the game files.
After that, i'd love to have AITD support into residual, for the three starting adventures - at least.
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

Yes, yaz0r already abandoned that project but AITD1 is really playable.

I think won't be so difficult to add into residual and make it compatible and than later think about rework in other game series engine addons.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I was reading up on the FITD project, it supports Alone in the Dark 1 completable, it has support for Alone in the Dark 2 & 3 and the Side story that was included with Alone in the Dark 2 but they are not completable and don't have save/loading support.

Which seems to be a very good start on an engine to add to residual, it just needs a developer to take on the challenge.