Skipping ahead?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AMagill

Skipping ahead?

Post by AMagill »

I'd heard that ResidualVM finally got up to completable state (congratulations!), and I was rather excited to play through Grim Fandango again for the first time in ages. Well.. I just got a hard crash (possibly because I'd forgotten to apply the update) just as I was opening the door to the beaver dam in the Petrified Forest. Of course, I'd completely forgotten to save along the way.
Is there a trick to skipping ahead to a particular point in the game, so that it's still completable from there? Or perhaps someone could share a save?

Thanks!
giucam

Post by giucam »

you can jump to some specific points in the game like explained at http://www.grim-fandango.com/hacking.php. You need to add game_devel_mode=TRUE in the grim section of your residual config file for that to work, though.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

As well as be running ResidualVM from a terminal.

Which OS are you on?

A few notes though, the j-jumps gets you to a place in the game, with the stuff needed to complete a puzzle, while ctrl-g just puts you in a room.

If you use ctrl-g, beware that you might need to jump back to get some items that you need to get earlier (or puzzles that need to be solved, for instance to get to the beaver-dam). HOWEVER, jumps to the start of a year are always safe IIRC, as your inventory is emptied between years anyway. (You can also jump to the last part of year 1 without any problems, as you can reach all the necessary puzzle items from there).

BUT, you cant complete Year 2 without the patch.
AMagill

Post by AMagill »

Thanks! I was able to get pretty close to where I was by doing a jump to 'gh' (Spider Web (Glottis' heart)). I just had to make a quick stop by the tube room to pick up the fire extinguisher, but from there I was able to play through to year 2.
I'm a software developer, and perhaps I'll try and familiarize myself with the code when I can get some more free time together.
mish87

Post by mish87 »

Help :(

Everything was running fine, until I had to quit out, then, when I loaded my savegame, Manny couldn't move at all, I could only get into the menu.

I understand I can jump ahead in the game by adding the dev line to the residual prefs, which I did, but here I also read residual needs to be launched via Terminal in order for this to work.

Now, a noob question though it may be, what's the correct command line for running grim-win in residual via terminal?

on osx
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

You'll just launch the gui from terminal.

now, I guess you've placed your ResidualVM file in your Applications-folder

in which case:

cd /Applications/ResidualVM.app/Contents/MacOs
./residual

SHOULD do the trick.

Also, what circumstances were the save made in, with which you are having problems.
mish87

Post by mish87 »

Oh man, thanks so much, you totally rock to take the time to answer on SUNDAY, the day before 4th of July.

I successfully managed to get back to the point I left off.
I tried saving, which works fine as long as I launch from terminal afterwards again.

I spoke to the clown after the Land of the Living, then saved and then when I loaded I couldn't move or do anything, only access the menu.

I figured because I was using an earlier build from like 28th April which was buggy...menu flashing etc. I wondered if there's a newer version, and there was a newer one by a few days. After upgrading, savegames no longer worked - didn't even have titles.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

28th of April? Man, that is sort of old. There are builds from June for most of the platforms, and late May for the rest.

Savegame-compatibility is broken every few weeks or so, if there's a reason to do so, so that is just to be expected.