ResidualVM doesn't run with Russian translation of the Grim

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Remmyx

ResidualVM doesn't run with Russian translation of the Grim

Post by Remmyx »

Dear ResidualVM developers, first of all let me thank you for your great work on ResidualVM program. Actually it gave us opportunity to play such good game as Grim on modern hardware. No doubt its remarkable, so thank you one more time.
I have a little problem thought and here is the situation. There is unofficial Russian translation of the Grim Fandango made by unknown author and found in the depths of internet. When I try to place the modified VOX000*.LAB files into the game folder, I got the following message in console:

Code: Select all

The game in 'c:\Shifter\Gms\GrimFand\' seems to be unknown.
Please, report the following data to the ResidualVM team along with name
of the game you tried to add and its version/language/etc.:
  {"VOX0001.LAB", 0, "a38708ba97960ee7ee59218489a485eb", 44691160},
Version is Win32-0.0.7git (Oct 3 2011 18:01:55) downloaded from link marked as October 7, 2011, 9:00 pm.

Is there any hope that its possible to do something with it? There are also translated strings and video files. If you need some additional information then I'll be glad to provide you with it.
Please, sorry for disturbance and thanks once again.
giucam

Post by giucam »

Unfortunately that's a slick question: we can't support illegal content, and the question now is: are these files legal or illegal? If they contain original content they are illegal, and the support cannot be added.
So we need more info on these files before taking any decision.
Remmyx

Post by Remmyx »

Thanks for reply.
I'm agree - the question is quite slick. But I think that the content can be considered as legal, since it contains only translated resources which are created from ground up and require the original game to used with. It means that no binary files provided, no DATA00*.lab files there, no YEAR*MUS.lab files. So the original game is required.
Unfortunately there is no some kind of license supplied with translation, so Its hard to make any conclusions about its juridical value.
Allin.kindA

Post by Allin.kindA »

ðƒÐÇð©Ðüð¥ðÁð┤ð©ð¢ÐÅÐÄÐüÐî ð║ ð┐ÐÇðÁð┤Ðïð┤ÐâÐëðÁð╝Ðâ ð¥ÐÇð░Ðéð¥ÐÇÐâ.
Hey! What's the problem with non-english translation? In russia we have two various translation of this great game. and what do you propose to do?
YakBizzarro

Post by YakBizzarro »

Here http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=174 there are the translations for subtitles, compatibles with ResidualVM.