Different game and audio files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bren

Different game and audio files

Post by Bren »

Hi,

sorry if this question has been placed here several times, but I searched the forum and found no suiting answer for my case.

What I want to do:

-play the PC version of Monkey Island 2 because it has more music
-take the mp3s of the amiga version and plug add them because they sound much better

Is there a way to do it this way ? It's very important to me to play this game with original amiga music but without an emulator.

Thanks for help !
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Different game and audio files

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Bren wrote:What I want to do:

-take the mp3s of the amiga version and plug add them because they sound much better

Is there a way to do it this way ? It's very important to me to play this game with original amiga music but without an emulator.

Thanks for help !
There is no way of replacing the Monkey Island 2 music with MP3s, for reasons briefly described in the FAQ.

You can change sound driver to get different sound, but you are still restricted to the original music tracks. For the PC version of Monkey Island 2 there are three types of sounds, internally referred to as ROL, ADL and SPK. The ROL tracks are written for the Roland MT-32, the ADL tracks are written for Adlib, and the SPK tracks are written for the PC Speaker. Not all of the tracks exist in all three forms.

ScummVM plays the ROL tracks if the music driver is either the native MIDI driver, or the MT-32 emulator. I don't have a real MT-32, and I can't use the MT-32 emulator (it requires data from a real MT-32, and a much faster computer than then one I have), so I've only heard them played as General MIDI. ScummVM tries to approximate the MT-32 instruments, but with - I'm told - varying success.

ScummVM plays the ADL tracks if the music driver is Adlib. This is played through an Adlib emulator, so it should sound the same regardless of hardware. (This is what I use for Monkey Island 2.)

ScummVM does not play the SPK tracks at all at this time.

You can probably use the LucasArts games to track the popularity of sound hardware: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has ROL, ADL and SPK tracks, just like Monkey Island 2. By the time The Day of the Tentacle was released, it seems support for the PC Speaker had finally been dropped, but GMD (General MIDI) tracks were added. Sam & Max Hit the Road has only one type of music tracks, simply referred to as MIDI, and after that they switched to digitized music.
cappuchok

Re: Different game and audio files

Post by cappuchok »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Bren wrote:What I want to do:

Thanks for help !
There is no way of replacing the Monkey Island 2 music with MP3s, for reasons briefly described in the FAQ.
While it's true that it's impossible to replace music in iMUSE titles with MP3 tracks for obvious reasons, should it not be at least theoretically possible to replace the MIDI tracks with the real Amiga music files? They're not MP3s, they're sequenced in a tracker and thus works very much like MIDI files, but with built-in samples and more effects. However, IIRC, the Amiga version also uses iMUSE, so there must be some common code in there somewhere.

Disclaimer: I am not a coder and this is simply a theory.
Bren

Post by Bren »

@eriktorbjorn: Thanks for the detailed answer, I didn't know that(obviously).

@cappuchok: I'm no coder neither, but nice idea. I just want those Amiga songs back...