ResidualVM Closes when I click Start

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SusieQ

ResidualVM Closes when I click Start

Post by SusieQ »

Hi, so I just downloaded this today and it was working great! I played up until Manny meets Meche. I saved it, closed it, & went about my day. But when I came back, it wouldn't start up again! I open ResidualVM fine, but as soon as I click Load or Start, the application just closes. :( I am on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8 if that helps anyone. I am not sure what to do. I am playing the game from the files on my hard drive and yes I have the patch.
Thanks in advance for your help!
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Which way are you trying to save/load? From the launcher, or from the ingame menu that can be triggered with f1?

Does starting a new game work fine?

Does it crash if you start a new game, press f1, and then open the load/save dialogue?

Which version of ResidualVM is this?
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

Hi, thanks for responding. I saved using F1. Do you mean from the residual launcher? I'm not sure how to save any other way.
But starting a new game doesn't work, nor does adding a new grim fandango game entirely. I just downloaded Residual so it should be the latest. I can't even start any game, which is weird bc it was working and playing perfectly.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

By default, your savegames should be somewhere in your Documents-folder, if I'm not mistaken, in a subfolder called "ResidualVM Savegames", try to move all files from that folder to your desktop, then try to start a new game. If that fixes your problem, then we can look into figuring out what the problem with the savegame is.

The version-number of your ResidualVM copy is listed below the logo in the launcher, could you post it here for reference?
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

It says 0.1.0-pre (May 6 2012).
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

And it didn't work.
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

Should I try deleting the game and its saves, and re-adding it?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

SusieQ wrote:It says 0.1.0-pre (May 6 2012).
Thats rather old.
Have you tried the 0.1.1 MacOS X build?
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

Ermahgerd!! It works! I downloaded the newer version, but it still wasn't working. Said I hadn't downloaded the patch, which was weird and I noticed it wasn't in the Grim folder on my hard drive, so I put it there again and replaced Residual with the new version and it worked! Thanks guys.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Out of curiosity, where did you download 0.1.0-pre from?
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

From the Residual website, it was weird because I clicked the latest version for Mac too. & My saved game was gone btw.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Depending on when that 0.1.0-pre build was done, the savegames it creates MIGHT not be compatible with 0.1.1.

I'm curious though, as we haven't hosted 0.1.0-pre in atleast a year now, so when did you download 0.1.0-pre?

As for getting your game back to where you were, there is a solution to that, cheat-codes:

* Close ResidualVM
* Open ResidualVM Preferences (it's a file in ~/Library/Preferences, where ~ is your home-folder)
* Under the bracketed entry that starts with grim (i.e. [grim-win]), add:
game_devel_mode=true
* Save the file.
* Open ResidualVM
* Start Grim Fandango.
* Press J, then enter the jump-point you want to jump to.

A list of jump-points is available at the bottom of this page:
http://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php/Gr ... Debug_Mode

(Note: Jumping to sets, as described in that page, is just moving Manny to a specific set, whilst jump-points puts you at a specific point in the story, complete with the inventory items you're supposed to have from earlier parts you can't backtrack to.)
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

Good to know, thanks guys. I know I just downloaded it a couple of days ago, but maybe I had an older version on my computer from last year.
SusieQ

Post by SusieQ »

Is that the cheat for windows or will it work for mac too? I can find the ResidualVM preferences folder.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Its specifically for os x 10.6, later versions have the library hidden, use cmd shift g then to get the correct folder.