Testing: Myst III - Exile

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bgK
ScummVM Developer

Testing: Myst III - Exile

Post by bgK »

Adding support for Myst III: Exile to ResidualVM is nearly done. Though, there may still be some rough edges. We'd like to request your help by play-testing the game thoroughly and reporting any issues you encounter.

If you are interested, and have some free time, please do the following:

* Grab a daily build from http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/
* Copy the required files from your CD or DVD version of the game. Instructions can be found on the wiki.
* Make sure that your game-version detects properly (by removing and readding it if you already had it in your list).
* Perform a full play-through where you:

* Try as much things as possible.
* Save and load games.
* Take notes of any and all issues, and if at all possible make a save game right before they happen (and if needed also a screenshot).
* Do NOT update ResidualVM during the playthrough, keep the entire run on one version. (If you do update, please start from the beginning).

Then, take note of your operating system (including version), the renderer used, as well as the revision of ResidualVM you played with and add any issues not already listed on our tracker to: https://github.com/residualvm/residualvm/issues

Finally post in this thread telling us how many problems you encountered, and whether you could complete the game.

You can request help in this thread.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jatenk

Re: Testing: Myst III - Exile

Post by jatenk »

First of all, THANK YOU for doing this. I love this game since I know it and always will.
Using the compiled package by Gannet7 posted here.
I had the game installed, running OS X 10.10 Yosemite (public beta). Did not run due to some processor errors or something. Downloaded the linked installer, ran it, it detected I had a version installed, updated it and was done.
Game runs now.
Saving games WORKS.
Loading games WORKS.
Changing language within the game DOES NOT DO ANYTHING; game stays in english.
My old saves (pre-ResidualVM) are GONE.
I have not been to the part with the mirrors in the tree level yet which had some problems on the previous version of Myst 3: Exile (where it did not run through ResidualVM yet) - you could not see anything when adjusting the mirrors - I will post here when that or something else does not work.

0.2.Ogit is my version.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi jatenk

It's possible those problems are caused by the installation - there may have been some files created by the previous version that are interfering. Try going to your user Library > Application Support > Myst III Exile, and delete everything there except the Saved Games folder. (Remember: to access the user library you need to hold option while clicking on the Go menu).

Any other problems with the installer, which may include settings and saved games, should probably be posted in the installer topic.

I have done a complete playthrough myself and can happily assure you there are no problems with the plants (or anything else for that matter) :)
jatenk

Post by jatenk »

I could retrieve my old save files by moving them from the old save folder (~/Library/Application Support/Myst 3 Exile/Saved games) to the new one (~/Documents/ResidualVM Savegames).
Interestingly enough, after deleting everything in the Application Support folder (despite the saved games folder), the game used that folder as the savegame folder again instead the Documents folder. I had to copy all my saves back in order to be able to use them.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Ah yes, I suspected as much. What happened was the old version, when running as "native" under 10.6 or earlier, stored its preference file in the same place as the ResidualVM version is trying to store its own preferences. Because the old file already existed there it failed to write the new preferences, which includes the save game path.
An oversight on my part, sorry about that. I've just tweaked the installer to clean out that folder when upgrading from an old version.
delia

Post by delia »

I just started using ResidualVM to play Exile. It starts and runs great so far. My only problem is SAVING! How do I save a game?? The save button is faded on the menu...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, please :)
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

The game menu can be accessed by pressing the escape key, just like with the original game.
delia

Post by delia »

thank you! 1st time playing exile + using residualvm. MUCH appreciated :)
Krest

Post by Krest »

delia wrote:thank you! 1st time using Male Extra and playing exile + using residualvm. MUCH appreciated :)
Same here, thanks for sharing bgk.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
f2bnp

Post by f2bnp »

Greetings, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have encountered what seems to be a bug in Myst 3 using ResidualVM 2.1 and the latest daily build.
I have linked to Amateria and explored a little bit, but I get a crash each time I try to access one area.

Specifically, there's a hall right past an elevator that gives me these results:
ImageImage

As you can see, whenever I try to go in the area right past the elevator, the console comes down with an error. If I press ESC or type Exit, ResidualVM crashes and I'm dropped to the Desktop. I can ride the elevator just fine though.

This is all on Windows 10 FYI.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
bgK
ScummVM Developer

Post by bgK »

That error seems to indicate your data files are corrupted.
Please try copying them from your CDs/DVD again.

The file MACAnodes.m3a has the following md5sum for most versions of the game:
28406ff9d61ee21eb221868bab687cf6 MACAnodes.m3a
Is yours different?
f2bnp

Post by f2bnp »

Yep, here's what I'm getting:

9f8bd33648c4725708a06e14a73bfc75

I'm using the CD-ROM Version. I'll see if I can get my hands on another version and see if that fixes things!

-Update

Got my hands on the DVD version and that seems to have fixed things for me. I think the issue stemmed from the update I applied on the original CD version, I probably did something stupid and messed up some data.

Thanks for the help!