Escape From Monkey Island Installer for macOS

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gannet

Escape From Monkey Island Installer for macOS

Post by Gannet »

I've put together an easy installer for EMI for Macs.

EMI Mac Installer (99.8 MB)

Currently works only with the Windows English CD set. I could add support for the Mac CD set if requested.

It includes all the patches described here, including the higher quality audio (which is why the installer is so large, sorry).

By default it runs under Cider (wine-derivative) which is the most accurate/stable/glitch-free*. You can switch to ResidualVM (with anti-aliasing) by holding option on launch.
Preferences are shared between the two engines but save files are not.
ResidualVM is a 64-bit build which should continue to work on future versions of macOS.

* There actually is one glitch: On some machines you may see just black for the cutscenes - you can fix this by turning on movie subtitles.
punwarrior

Re: Escape From Monkey Island Installer for macOS

Post by punwarrior »

Thanks for this helpful tool! I've successfully used it to get my EMI discs running on my Mac. I'm getting some odd behavior though, running in Cider mode: when I quit the game via the in-game menu, macOS (10.14.6) logs off/soft reboots. So far my workaround has been task switching so I can see the desktop, then manually Force Quitting EMI from the dock.

Mainly I'm thankful to be able to play EMI easily on my MacBook without booting to Windows, which this does beautifully.
Gannet

Re: Escape From Monkey Island Installer for macOS

Post by Gannet »

Hi punwarrior, thanks for your report. That does sound like very odd behaviour. Unfortunately I've updated to 10.15 now so I can't test the Cider mode anymore (can't run it in a VM either since it requires hardware acceleration). I don't have any guesses as to why it might be happening, sorry. Let me know if you happen to figure out.