Is there an option to disable in-game achievements in ScummVM 2.8.1?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OldBoldCat

Is there an option to disable in-game achievements in ScummVM 2.8.1?

Post by OldBoldCat »

The game is 'The Excavation of Hob's Barrow'

The game has a lot nonsense achievement popping up all the time you do trivial things. That is the main porblem for me here.
I like to look at achievements after I finish a game.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Is there an option to disable in-game achievements in ScummVM 2.8.1?

Post by sev »

As I understand, this is how the game's author implemented it. We are not doing anything special about achievements besides storing them.

Eugene
OldBoldCat

Post by OldBoldCat »

I'm not sure if I was clear enough.
Look, the way it displays the achievements in SummVM is a grey popup with the achievements name like Steam does. But Steam is lower right side of the display(subtle).
In ScummVM It's in the middle of the display. Not very subtle. In Steam you can turn them off by disable the steam overlay I believe. Maybe in-game is the wrong word I used before (the grey popups don't fit to the look of the game and are distracting).
They look like some first steps of implementing them in ScummVM or so. I thought maybe the turn them off knob is not yet implemented?(or display them in a corner option)

I don't know how exactly SummVM supports this kind of games. I don't know much about the programming stuff. So I try to explain as good as I can with my limited english skills. And I'm thankful for the reply!

Right know I get it that it's not possible to turn them off
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

We use OSystem::displayMessageOnOSD() in the AchievementManager to show the achievement. How it gets shown exactly might depend on the platform. But I don't see any option currently to disable this. Maybe we could have an option to not show the achievement notifications. And we could indeed also add a parameter in displayMessageOnOSD to pass a location hint to request that those are shown in a corner rather than the middle on the screen.
So there are definitely a few things that we can improve, but unfortunately for you it looks like there is nothing you can do with the current release to avoid those achievements being shown in the middle of the screen.
tag2015

Post by tag2015 »

Praetorian wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:45 am Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?
As criezy explained, whenever an achievement is obtained, an OSD message is shown. Of course this is on purpose and happens in any achievement-enabled game, not just The Excavation of Hob's Barrow.
scummvm-excavationhb-00003.png
scummvm-excavationhb-00003.png (73.13 KiB) Viewed 329 times

For a similar issue (disabling the "saved screenshot" message when capturing a screenshot) we have the disable_saved_screenshot_osd boolean that can be set in scummvm.ini. We could do the same here, if we really want to
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

criezy wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:24 am How it gets shown exactly might depend on the platform.
It does. Even the graphics mode can make a difference. In "SDL Surface" mode, it fades out, in "OpenGL" mode it does not.

Here's what it looks like in the Android version:

android.jpg
android.jpg (82.39 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

It escapes me why anyone would want "achievement" messages in a point and click adventures.

Isn't this kind of the wrong genre for "achievement hunters"?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I didn't know such old games even support achievements. Is there a list of all ScummVM games which have achievements?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

[quote=LogicDeLuxe post_id=99714 time=1719042289 user_id=301]
I didn't know such old games even support achievements. Is there a list of all ScummVM games which have achievements?
[/quote]

I Am Not The Expert On This ... but not in a clear form I know of.

This is mainly for GOG / Steam Achievement support for AGS. Wintermute, Twine and a few other game engines which support these as part of the newer / fan authored games. ScummVM loads these from achievements.dat, see https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... hievements ... though the mapping of the game id values there to the normal ScummVM gameid is unclear to me, but I think it needs a table in each engine which supports achievements i.e. https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... s_tables.h