SAF issue with 2.8.1 on /e/OS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

csolus

SAF issue with 2.8.1 on /e/OS

Post by csolus »

Hi,

I unfortunately find it impossible to load games in scummvm 2.8.1 on Android fork /e/OS (v1.9, which is a fork of Android 13).

I'm following exactly the procedure indicated here: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/othe ... droid.html in order to add my games directory to the SAF. The screenshots are pretty much the same, so I assume that the procedure runs OK.

...but when loading games (e.g. Riven, Dott), ScummVM doesn't find anything and asks me to add the directory to the SAF.

The same games (same files) just load fine on ScummVM ran on a linux computer. So I assume that these files are correct.

Looking into the forums, the proposed solutions did not seem to work for me.

So I'm looking for friendly suggestions ;-)
Thx and congrats for this great software!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: SAF issue with 2.8.1 on /e/OS

Post by Praetorian »

csolus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:03 pm I'm following exactly the procedure indicated here: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/othe ... droid.html in order to add my games directory to the SAF. The screenshots are pretty much the same, so I assume that the procedure runs OK.

...but when loading games (e.g. Riven, Dott), ScummVM doesn't find anything and asks me to add the directory to the SAF.
Could you describe exactly what you did?

Also please clarify whether adding the games (detection) works or not.

And verify that your game data folder(s) were copied over without skipping files.
csolus

Post by csolus »

Thx for your answer. Here's some more details:

> Could you describe exactly what you did?

1- click "<Add a new folder>"
2- this opens a folder browser from the system. I select the folder and then "Use this folder" (still a system button).
3- it pops up a window asking (I'm translating from french) "Authorize ScummVM to access files in [folder name]"
4 - I confirm "Authorize"
5 - right after clicking, I get the message from scummVM that nothing is to be found in the folder (see below) and that I should add it to the SAF.

Then:

6 - I click "Add game" in scummVM, it asks for which folder to look into. I select my games folder
7 - I get the error message:

"ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory! Did you add this directory to the SAF? Press the help button [?] on the top for detailed instruction"

> Also please clarify whether adding the games (detection) works or not.

Detection does not work. ScummVM just says it finds nothing, and asks me about the SAF.

> And verify that your game data folder(s) were copied over without skipping files.

I use the same files exactly than on my PC. I just copied the entire file hierarchies.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

csolus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:49 am > Could you describe exactly what you did?

1- click "<Add a new folder>"
2- this opens a folder browser from the system. I select the folder and then "Use this folder" (still a system button).
3- it pops up a window asking (I'm translating from french) "Authorize ScummVM to access files in [folder name]"
4 - I confirm "Authorize"
5 - right after clicking, I get the message from scummVM that nothing is to be found in the folder (see below) and that I should add it to the SAF.
This folder that you're selecting in your step 2 (the one I noted in bold above), is it the folder where your games' folders reside in? I mean, if the folder you selected is named "games" is the structure something like the following?

Code: Select all

games
|_____ monkeyisland
|_____ myst
|_____ riven
|_____ ...
The warning at your step 5 is expected in this particular case, since in this step you're pointing at a parent folder of the games' folders and not a game folder, and you have not specified that you want to do a "Mass Add..." (which scans the subfolders of the specified folder).
csolus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:49 am Then:

6 - I click "Add game" in scummVM, it asks for which folder to look into. I select my games folder
7 - I get the error message:
During this process, in your step 6, from the ScummVM file explorer, do you go all the way "up" (if not already there), then select the new "games" shortcut that should have been created during the 1-5 steps, and then navigate through that shortcut (here: "games") to the particular game folder, eg. "riven" ? It should not matter if you select the folder "riven" and then click "Choose" or if you enter the "riven" folder and then click "Choose", but you could try both. Just make sure that the game folder you're pointing ScummVM at (here: "riven") actually contains the games data files and just not another custom subfolder (eg. "thegamedata") where the game's data are.

Another thing to test here would be the aforementioned "Mass Add..." option. This is available in a dropdown, if you click the arrow icon on the right side of the "Add Game..." button. The Mass Add should work simply by pointing ScummVM directly to the "games" shortcut (or going inside "games") and clicking "Choose". This process could take a while to complete.
See the "Mass Add" related info in this page.
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... e-launcher

One of the above methods should work without giving you the error for "No game data found". If ScummVM still return an error, it probably means that this particular fork of Android does something different that we don't currently support.

You could always try putting your game data folders in ScummVM's app storage space (that lives in the internal storage of your device, so not on a SD card or other external drive). That process does not require SAF at all, and would perform better, but the caveat would be that the game folders would be wiped when uninstalling the ScummVM app or if downgrading for some reason. (...).
csolus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:49 am I use the same files exactly than on my PC. I just copied the entire file hierarchies.
I've personally had several instances of copying folders from my PC over to my Android device, only to find that the copy failed partially for some reason or other (usually storage space availability, but also things like interrupted connection during the data transfer, bad USB cable (when done over USB) etc ). This is not necessarily your case, but it's something to keep in mind as a factor.

Note: I'm using "games" and "riven" above as an example, in order to be as precise as possible. These folders may be named differently on your device (basically depending on how you've named them).
csolus

Post by csolus »

Ah thank you !

- it's not possible to navigate folders. I can only select a folder (e.g. Games) and click "choose". There's no way to browse. I tried double clicking on the folder, but it doesn't work, whatever the mouse mode (top right icon that looks like a mouse) I choose.

- so what I did is add each folder (dott, riven, ...) using steps 1 to 5, then select each of them in "add game", and then.... it works!

So thanks a lot for the help. I thought that since it's not possible to browse, selecting "Games" would find all the games below.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

csolus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:14 pm Ah thank you !

- it's not possible to navigate folders. I can only select a folder (e.g. Games) and click "choose". There's no way to browse. I tried double clicking on the folder, but it doesn't work, whatever the mouse mode (top right icon that looks like a mouse) I choose.

- so what I did is add each folder (dott, riven, ...) using steps 1 to 5, then select each of them in "add game", and then.... it works!

So thanks a lot for the help. I thought that since it's not possible to browse, selecting "Games" would find all the games below.
I'm glad it worked for you, even though that way is not the recommended way, since it creates multiple SAF approved folders.

It should be possible to double click (double tap) on the shortcut folder to see its contents -- it will only show subfolders, but it should work in order to navigate through to a target game folder. I am not sure why it would not work in your case. Maybe it's something that /e/OS does different, or the double tapping would not register on your device?

In any case, happy gaming :)

And if this method though SAF seems too slow to load big games or in-game transitions, consider the option of using the ScummVM's app storage (internal or "external") for your game data folders.