Operation Stealth Graphics

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Operation Stealth Graphics

Post by scoriae »

I was testing Operation Stealth speeds in DOSBox the other day, and deceed to compare htm to ScummVM to see how it compared.

I stumbled across the fact that the graphics are fairly different with the game, using the exact same set of files.

I've attached a screen shot. In it you can see the left screen (MS-DOS via DOSBox) has flat shades. The sky is a solid blue. The buildings are solid black with brown windows. The runway is solid gray.

However, the ScummVM version has gradient textures on all of these things. The sky is a blue that slowly fades into a lighter blue as it goes down. On the other hand, some detail is lost. Like the buildings in the scummvm version no longer have windows.

I was just curious what was causing this. Not complaining or anything. Just trying to understand how ScummVM interprets the same graphics files diffrently.

Thank you.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (379.56 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Operation Stealth Graphics

Post by Praetorian »

Could you post your set of files, or whether they match the top section of the ScummVM wiki page for the game or the bottom one under "Required data files"?

(Mind you, I think there's a chance our wiki page has the set of files reversed for the DOS VGA (256) version vs the DOS EGA version of the game).

Looking at a few videos of the game, the screenshot on the left appears to be in EGA mode (16 colors) and the one on the right is from the VGA version.

You wrote that this is the behavior you get on DosBox vs ScummVM for the same set of files... If that's indeed the case, maybe DosBox is playing the game in EGA mode for some reason (probably something in your DosBox configuration file)?

Also, yes, it seems that the VGA version does have those "details missing" in the original as well.