monkey island 2 problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apop10

monkey island 2 problem

Post by apop10 »

i have a monkey island 2 and i copy my files in my psp
i installed other games in scumm in my psp and is great
but when i load monkey 2..the screen of codes in the start , i cant put numbers in my psp to enter in the game..i click start and select in my psp , the symbols appear but i cant to choose
helpme
thanks
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

What exactly is the problem?

Press `select` to activate the on-screen keyboard, use the L/R trigger (I forgot which) to switch to symbol input, use the analog nub to select a number and press X.
apop10

monkey island 2 problem

Post by apop10 »

my problem is this (sorry for my english?)
i click select ,i use left ,right trigger. but i can choose nothing
i click x but nothing happens
the onscreen keyboard appears but i cant choose..nothing
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

Maybe you have hold on! :)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Re: monkey island 2 problem

Post by joostp »

apop10 wrote:my problem is this (sorry for my english?)
i click select ,i use left ,right trigger. but i can choose nothing
i click x but nothing happens
the onscreen keyboard appears but i cant choose..nothing
As I said in my previous post, you have to use the analog nub to select a letter/number/symbol.
apop10

monkey 2

Post by apop10 »

i click the analog nub but nothing happnes..i can choose nothing..i make all good..but when i move the analog nub..nothing happens
apop10

scumm

Post by apop10 »

in my psp 2.6 with eloader , i can choose the symbols o numbers to
is strange
apop10

sorry

Post by apop10 »

my problem is i cant choose..the numbers or symbols..nothing
i click X AND nothing happens
i want to put a name..to my savegames and nothing happens to
i cant choose nothing..i appear the online keyboard..but i click x etc..all the buttoms..but nothing happens
please..i dont know
Jility

Post by Jility »

i got the same problem....did anybody get monkey island 2 running, so he can send a savegame or tell how to pass the security screen...thx
dudezilla

Monkey 2 SCUMM

Post by dudezilla »

I didn't know how to get past the code at first, either.

I used the same file from my Mac SCUMMvm file, it loaded on PSP great.

When it asks for you to input the code, press select to pull up the alphabet menu, then left trigger to switch from alphabet to numbers. Use the analog stick to pick any 4 numbers, and press X to confirm the entries. The numbers don't need to be the same each time, but you do have to enter some numbers each time you start the game. Press select again to exit the character menu after you are done entering the code. That should do it.

It worked on mine once I figured out how to pull up the character menu, and switch between numbers and letters. In SCUMMvM, you need to use the analog stick to move the cursor to select from the menu, the arrows don't work. I am running PSP with OS version 1.5, and the current SCUMMvM emulator for PSP. The number menu and analog stick may work differently in newer PSP operating systems, that may be the problem you are experiencing.

I was able to get the first three Monkey island games to play on PSP (and Mac), and also some other games with the same engine.

I recommend you buy them used, they are apparently more complete than the versions available for download, and I am not linking to any of the demos or freeware I found anymore - it's frustrating.

I do hope you can load your game now, though.
Last edited by dudezilla on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey 2 SCUMM

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dudezilla wrote: You can get all 3 games for free (legally from LucasArts) as downloads now, just do a search.

Also, Escape from Monkey Island (MI #4), is available for free downlaod for mac.
I very much doubt that. If the two first games had been released as freeware, I'm sure the LucasArts fan sites would be all abuzz with excitement. UK Amazon is still selling The Curse of Monkey Island, and they list the PC version of Escape From Monkey Island as being re-released early next year.
dudezilla

monkey island downloads

Post by dudezilla »

I removed my posts.

I was trying to be helpful.

I don't know which are legal, I was somewhat clear about which were 'demos'.

I really just don't care, though.

Go buy the damn things.
Last edited by dudezilla on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: monkey island downloads

Post by DrMcCoy »

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/monke ... wnload.htm.[/quote]

There's the demo. It's only 19MB, while the full game came on two CDs, with full speech...
Also only the demo, the full game came on multiple CDs...
dudezilla wrote:Secret of Monkey Island, possibly not authorized or freeware?
Not authorized/illegal.
dudezilla wrote:Links to all 4 of the demos and freewares are available here too, and more info on emulating them:
http://www.scummbar.com/games/index.php ... nfo&todo=4
Demos only.
dudezilla wrote:article about differences between demo and full version of Monkey Island 2, with info on hacking demo, and links to additional music:
http://www.scummbar.com/games/monkey2/demo/
It still isn't the full game in any respect, most of the resources are missing, etc.
dudezilla wrote:Full Throttle 'demo' - don't know if it is the complete game, it's 90mb, though. It does play in SCUMM. Yay!
http://www.gamershell.com/download_4748.shtml
Not the complete game at all. The full version came on one chock-full CD.
dudezilla wrote:and Day of Tentacle demo, it's probably limited, but still...
http://www.gamershell.com/download_4683.shtml
A demo, and not even the playable one.
dudezilla wrote:If you search, the monkey island games are indeed all available in full playable modes (full freeware or demos with few limits) for download on a few sites
Yeah, there are a few sites having warez, it's still illegal.
dudezilla wrote:I'm unsure of the official freeware status of each game via lucasarts,
The official status is: They aren't freeware.
dudezilla wrote:I have heard that LucasArts were not opposed to SCUMMvM, though.
Currently, they mostly ignore us. That can change though, if people go around saying things like "I can play warezed games with ScummVM!!11111oneeleven", and we certainly wouldn't like that change (and I'm sure you wouldn't either).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: monkey island downloads

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dudezilla wrote:Some are on the Lucasarts site, some are available as legal freeware, some a bit more dubious... Some are labeled 'demos', but you will see that they are actually playable all the way through, but are slightly different from retail versions, I linked to an article about that.
The demos generally only contain a small part of the complete game, e.g. the Curse of Monkey Island demo is 18 MB while the complete game covers two CDs. You can find plenty of demos on the ScummVM web page. Some are playable, but none of them are the complete game.
dudezilla wrote: If you search, the monkey island games are indeed all available in full playable modes (full freeware or demos with few limits) for download on a few sites, and you can emulate them in SCUMM for most platforms as long as you can access the whole file, uncompressed.
Yes, but just because someone made a game available for download somewhere doesn't mean it's necessarily legal. Even one of the sites you mentioned recognize this, and provides only a walkthrough for the game.
dudezilla wrote:I'm unsure of the official freeware status of each game via Lucasarts, so don't quote me on that one...
If the games were freeware, you'd probably be able to find them on the LucasArts FTP site. I don't know about you, but I can't.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two freeware games that ScummVM can play, and that's Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. (Lure of the Temptress will probably be supported eventually, but I don't know when.)
dudezilla wrote:I changed my earlier post, too. I have heard that LucasArts were not opposed to playing their games on SCUMMvM, though.
Well, there was the time when they tried to have the project shut down, but at the moment they seem content to just ignore us and dream of Star Wars merchandising...