Beneath a Steel Sky - no music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jazzik

Beneath a Steel Sky - no music

Post by jazzik »

Hi, I downloaded the game from HotU. I play it using scummvm 0.9.0. I have voices and sound effects but there is no music... Should there be? I'm still on the top floor, maybe it appears later on. I've already met Lamb (so you know where I'm a the moment).

And yes, I set the volume of music in settings to maximum.
clem

Post by clem »

yes, there should be music

do you get any error message in the black status window?

probably the midi device is busy, so ScummVM can only play digital sound

clem

PS: it's also possible to deactivate music from the menu within BASS, maybe you accidentially did that?
jazzik

Post by jazzik »

Thanks clem, now I know at least that there should be music in the background:

Like I said I downloaded the game from HotU. This is a list of files:

readme.txt 6kb
sky.dnr 40kb
sky.dsk 70732kb

When I start it with ScummVM the message in the black window is:

Looking for sky
Trying to start game 'Beneath a Steel Sky'
Found BASS version v.0.0368 (5099 dnr entries)

The game works fine except of music :(.

And clem... I don't think that there is a switch to turn the music of. Only volume (which I set to maximum). FX and Speech have switches.

PS. I got the midi sounds in other scummvm games - like Simon the Sorcerer or The Secret of Monkey Island.
Nicodemus82

Post by Nicodemus82 »

Try downloading the game from this site, that's what i did and everything works fine..
jazzik

Post by jazzik »

Thanks Nicodemus.

That solved the problem. I guess there was something wrong with the HotU version.
systray

Post by systray »

Hey guys, I have exactly the same problem - but I tried already 3 different versions including the one on the website here. No music :( . And sometimes the audio-sounds are missing, for example sometimes I can hear a laser being shot, sometimes not. crap :x . music is turned on in the menu.

Anybody got some help??
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

systray wrote:Hey guys, I have exactly the same problem - but I tried already 3 different versions including the one on the website here. No music :( . And sometimes the audio-sounds are missing, for example sometimes I can hear a laser being shot, sometimes not. crap :x . music is turned on in the menu.

Anybody got some help??
Does it make any difference if you change the Music driver setting to Adlib? (The Adlib music doesn't sound as nice as the MIDI music, of course, but it is an option.) If so, the problem of the missing music is probably related to MIDI playback. You don't mention which operating system you're using, but it could be as simple as adjusting the operating system's MIDI volume setting.

I have no idea about missing sound effects, though.
systray

Post by systray »

wow, it works when I set it to adlib. weird. where do I set the os midi volume in windows xp?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

systray wrote:wow, it works when I set it to adlib. weird. where do I set the os midi volume in windows xp?
I don't run Windows XP (except at work), but there should be a volume slider in the same place as the others (i.e. somewhere in the control panel, or there may be a shortcut in the systray). It could be called "synth"-something.
clem

Post by clem »

I'm on a German XP, but here it is at (translation mine, your mileage may vary):

Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> some button on that panel brings up a multitude of sliders
systray

Post by systray »

ok fixed the problem, apparently it is becos I (think I) got two soundcards installed. When I set in the audio-tab in xp under midi "microsoft wavetable synth' it works, while if I use the "E-DSP Midi port [9000]" from my producing soundcard it doesn't.