Broken Sword 1 Mac

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

frankie567

Broken Sword 1 Mac

Post by frankie567 »

Hello !

I have Broken Sword 1 for Mac. I'm succeed in extract files in my Windows computer.
But, when I try to launch it with ScummVM, it crash...
What's the problem ?

Frankie567
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The problem is that we do not currently support it. Clearly state e.g. here. Or, for that matter, in section 3.15 of the README. But of course nobody ever reads that *sigh*

There recently was a submission to our patch tracker which supposedly adds support for this version of BS1, but no version of ScummVM includes that so far.
frankie567

Post by frankie567 »

Oh... Sorry :oops:

Thank for the reply !
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

It would be great if someone who has the Macintosh version of Broken Sword 1 could try it with the latest development version of ScummVM now. The patch Fingolfin mentioned was accepted months ago, so the game should be playable, but now there's also a chance that the music works.

I only implemented support for a subset of the AIFF sound format, and I can only try it with the demo myself, but it could very well be enough.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I tested it with the last build for Mac (from March 16). I played the beginning and went through a few saved games. It works, I got no crash, but also no music, unless I use the ogg compressed files, and a few graphical glitches (that I mentioned when submitting the patch). These glitches (most of them if not all) are not present with the original mac interpreter and with the PC version of the game in ScummVM.
For example:

The color behind the door should be black and not red.

I saw you commited some files for aiff support a few days ago. I will compile a version from svn next week-end and see if the sound works. I might also have a look at the graphical glitches.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Further to my previous message, I can confirm the sound works fine for me with a build from svn April 13. I did not play the game completly, but I tried several of my saved games (Paris, Syria, Ireland, Spain, Scotland) and found no problems.
I also found where the graphical glitches come from and will post a patch soon.