Good point, Excellent Point !

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

k03n

Good point, Excellent Point !

Post by k03n »

lots of infos on this forum but too much confusion. I'm going to write a guide if you can first help mefigure out how to make the thing work.

With the DLDI tool what do I have to patch ? The merged file with scummvm and the zipped (store)game or what else ?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

README_DLDI.TXT included in the ScummVM DS zip file explains all this in as much detail as I could think of.

From the file:
4) If you're using the command line version of DLDITool enter the following at a command prompt:

dlditool <dldiname> <scummvm nds name>

If you're using the Windows GUI version, double click on
dlditool32.exe, select your card reader from the box, drag your ScummVM binaries (either the .nds, or the .ds.gba version depending on your card reader. I think only Supercards use the .ds.gba files) into the lower box, then click patch.

Either way, you should see 'Patched Successfully'. If you don't, you're doing something wrong.
If this isn't clear, perhaps you could suggest how it could be clearer rather than making another guide?
alcaholjunkie

Post by alcaholjunkie »

ezIV uses .ds.gba extension too, besides the compact which only can load the .bin extension (other ezIV can load .bin extension as well as .ds.gba)
Percy

Post by Percy »

agentq wrote: If you're using the Windows GUI version, double click on
dlditool32.exe, select your card reader from the box, drag your ScummVM binaries (either the .nds, or the .ds.gba version depending on your card reader. I think only Supercards use the .ds.gba files) into the lower box, then click patch.
If this isn't clear, perhaps you could suggest how it could be clearer rather than making another guide?[/quote]

Maybe something like:

"drag the plain unbuilt ScummVM binaries (either....."

and add on the sentence:
"Don't build the ScummVM binaries using the bat files included in the scumm-vm-0.9.1a.zip. You don't need to for ScummVM_DS"

I was dumb enough to try, several times. :oops:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

"drag the plain unbuilt ScummVM binaries (either....."
I don't think people would know what an 'unbuilt ScummVM binary' was, since the build process is explained in an entirely different section. A section that users of most card readers have no reason to read, since it doesn't apply to them.

Perhaps I should instead add a message that appears when you run the batch file that explains that you should only use the batch file if you're using a flash cartridge?

But in the end, the instructions gave a step-by-step guide which didn't say to run any batch file.
"Don't build the ScummVM binaries using the bat files included in the scumm-vm-0.9.1a.zip. You don't need to for ScummVM_DS"
Actually, you do, but only if you're using a flash card or a cart reader which emulates a flash card.