camera controlling cursor?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LosOutlandos´

camera controlling cursor?

Post by LosOutlandos´ »

hello!
i did a search but didn't find anything related so here goes:
would it be possible to somehow use the camera found on most symbian phones to control the cursor instead of using the joystick? i'm asking because, some years ago, there were some simple shooting games that were controlled by tilting/moving around the phone, i think there was one bundled with the siemens sx1. i have no knowledge of programming at all, but considering the sx1 had 120mhz and today most s60 phones have almost twice of that i'm led to believe that processing power would not be an issue. maybe there's even some open source code available for this, i don't know. of course waving your phone around like a madman wouldn't be a convenient way of playing adventures, but maybe a slight tilting would suffice to get it to work? it's just that, with touchscreens being absent from all s60 devices, i found playing adventures with the joystick was hindering me from really enjoying it.

i guess if this was feasible it would have been done already (and i can imagine it would be quite some work to implement), just wanted to share my mind with you.
thanks for all the great work!