Kyrandia 2 with Voice, any hope for SCUMMV compatability?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

Kyrandia 2 with Voice, any hope for SCUMMV compatability?

Post by CrisGer »

Hi and thanks again for this fantastic work you are all doing, I have enjoyed very much playing my collection of older games that work with ScummV, i was recently able to purchase a mint old copy of Hand of Fate, Kyrandia II with full voice, which greatly enhances the game. It is possible to do a special set up using DOS BOX to run it on XP, it is tricky as it has digital voice and wont run even on ny Win 98 SE which runs a lot of the older games including the non voice Kyrandias. Is there any hope of getting support for Kyrandia II on ScummV, I seem to remember seeing it mentioned as being partially supported, but have not been able to check back here for a while due to work demands. Just wanted to see as it is so nice to be able to run my older titles with your great engine interpreter. thanks again. :)

sorry I just found a topic from April of 07 on this, sorry I did not search faster! .......looks like you all are working on it as you have time, which is great!!! thanks
:)
cappuchok

Re: Kyrandia 2 with Voice, any hope for SCUMMV compatability

Post by cappuchok »

CrisGer wrote:it is tricky as it has digital voice and wont run even on ny Win 98 SE which runs a lot of the older games including the non voice Kyrandias
Funny you should mention this. I also had some problems running the CD versions in my Win98 machine, which I have specifically set up to run DOS and early Windows games. After some time, I isolated the problem to my sound card which was a cheapo "Soundblaster-compatible" clone. After replacing it with a genuine oldschool Soundblaster (AWE32 PnP) the Kyrandia games worked fine.
clem

Re: Kyrandia 2 with Voice, any hope for SCUMMV compatability

Post by clem »

CrisGer wrote:It is possible to do a special set up using DOS BOX to run it on XP, it is tricky as it has digital voice and wont run even on ny Win 98 SE which runs a lot of the older games including the non voice Kyrandias. Is there any hope of getting support for Kyrandia II on ScummV, I seem to remember seeing it mentioned as being partially supported, but have not been able to check back here for a while due to work demands.
no you don't need a special DOSBox setup - as far as I remember the standard DOSBox setup plays all the kyrandia titles just fine (but please keep in mind that this is the ScummVM forum, and not the DOSBox forum)

also there have not been any significant Kyrandia engine updates, else you would probably read about them on the main page
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

Hi clem, thanks and yes i did not mean to bring other emulators into the scummv forum, meant no disrespect for this great great effort here, which I very much admire and support. Re the running of Kyrandia 2 with digital voice by "other" emulators, indeed, it does not run easily with them due to the digital voice files, yes the oridinary non voice version runs, but not the full voice digital versoin.
Hence my hopes, which will continue for full support from Scummv and I saw that some of the members here had looked at it, but said in the archived posts that I found here that it would take a lot of work and would not happen soon. :) thanks agian to all here.
Phalstar98

Post by Phalstar98 »

:D

This is not on ScummVM topic, but I have been able to get Kyrandia 1 Fables and Friends to work with voices in Windows XP. I did not use Scummvm however. Keep reading if you want to know what I did.

After installing the program, download VDMSound v. 2.1.0 and install, V.2.0.4 will not work, or at least didn't for me.
Then right click on the "main.exe" file in the KyraCD folder and run with VDMS. Just do the typical setup. Chances are on the first try the program will not work and will result in a "Could not load 8FAT.FNT" Close out of the program. Then go back to the KYRACD folder. There should now be another Main file, whose TYPE (when looking at the files in detail) should be a VDMSound Shortcut. Right click the file and go to properties. Under compatibility, check off the "Enable low-level CD Rom support MSCDEX" Then click apply and OK. Now double click on the same main file/shortcut. The game should work with music, voices and all!

I have not tried this with the other Kyrandia games yet, so hopefully this will work. Sorry to post about non- scummvm, but I really enjoy these games, especially with full voice/sound. After trying Kyrandia 2&3 I'll let you know if this works as well!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Any reason to use VDMSound for Kyrandia 1 when ScummVM supports it? :-)
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

yes, I have found that Kyranida I with full voice does indeed work very well with ScummVM, PhasStar98, but thanks for the process info. It was nice of you to share that, as I too love these classic games with the full voice, makes a huge difference in the game impact and effect. But as you note, this is a ScummVM forum and as ScummVM really does a marvelous job on Kyr I w/ voice, and getting it to do that took a lot of work by the community here, I will continue to support efforts to get Kyr II to run with ScummVM when there is time for the experts here to work on it. :) Thanks.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

LordHoto wrote:Any reason to use VDMSound for Kyrandia 1 when ScummVM supports it? :-)
Well you could say why use ScummVM for BS1/2* & COMI

I personally think ScummVM is GREAT but use it for games that would be very awkward to run otherwise. For games that only need the Windows compatability function** I see no reason to use ScummVM, but thats my opinion.

*I previously posted on BS1/2 compatability with Win XP compared to using SCummVM

** In my case there are exceptions. I still have my old (but good spec) Win 98SE to run games that won't work using Win XP compatibility mode or through other software (ScummVM dosbox etc)- Drakan & Resident evil 2.

I haven't tried using Dosbox (sounds like a bit of a nightmare). Other games that I own such as Discworld 1/2 I also use my Win 98 machine to play. If & when ScummVM get round to adding Discworld 1/2 I will then use it to play them (hoping that it won't go the way of BS1/2 with all that cutscene malarky). You might then say why play Discworld 1/2 through ScummVM when you can play them on your Win 98 machine - because I'm trying to get as much as possible to work on Win XP & move away from Win 98 (still hoping to get Drakan/Res 2 working on XP)

Sorry about this overlong post - should have kept my answer to a few words - got carried away :oops:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chas-g wrote: Well you could say why use ScummVM for BS1/2* & COMI

I personally think ScummVM is GREAT but use it for games that would be very awkward to run otherwise. For games that only need the Windows compatability function** I see no reason to use ScummVM, but thats my opinion.
All of these games can, of course, be quite awkward to run if you have some other operating system than Windows. :)

In the case of Broken Sword 1 and 2, Revolution Software kindly provided us with the original source code, so getting them to run in ScummVM was a comparatively small task, even if it did take some work to weed out all the Intel-centric assumptions. I guess they didn't have the time to follow the tenth commandment for C programmers.

Getting basic support for The Curse of Monkey Island did not, from what I understand, take that many changes to the SCUMM engine, though we're still encountering subtle differences every now and then.
chas-g wrote: I haven't tried using Dosbox (sounds like a bit of a nightmare).
It might be to anyone who flees in horror at the mere sight of a command-prompt, but for the most part DOSbox seems quite user-friendly to me. I've tried it with several different programs, and while a few have failed miserably in more-or-less amusing ways, most of them worked very well.

Unlike the real thing, I've never had to worry about editing AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Quote:
Originally posted by eriktorbjorn

It might be to anyone who flees in horror at the mere sight of a command-prompt, but for the most part DOSbox seems quite user-friendly to me.

Yep that's me :? I'm not too bad finding my way around a computer but that seems like hard work. To me it's a waiting game - waiting for the fine folk on the ScummVM team to get them ol' games working - sighs gently & leans back leisurely in his chair :)
Phalstar98

Post by Phalstar98 »

I got Kyrandia 2 & 3 to work by basically the same process too, if anyone wanted to play with voice etc. while waiting for Scummvm.