Monkey island 2 sound problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ace2020Boyd

Monkey island 2 sound problem

Post by Ace2020Boyd »

i had my mi 2 game set on midi or something and the game music used to sound like somewhat like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fvO__ywTZg but there is no more sound in the game. or like in MI 1 the cd version the music is crisp and that is how mi 2 used to be. is there some thing you have to mess with to get back to the way it was.like when you go to edit the game in SCummVm there is a MIDI tab to you have to mess with that to get it to work
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey island 2 sound problem

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Ace2020Boyd wrote:i had my mi 2 game set on midi or something and the game music used to sound like somewhat like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fvO__ywTZg but there is no more sound in the game. or like in MI 1 the cd version the music is crisp and that is how mi 2 used to be. is there some thing you have to mess with to get back to the way it was.like when you go to edit the game in SCummVm there is a MIDI tab to you have to mess with that to get it to work
I've read this several times, and I still can't understand exactly what you mean.

The CD version of Monkey Island 1 uses CD audio tracks (ScummVM can use compressed audio files instead), so it will always sound the same, regardless of the Music driver setting or your sound hardware.

The PC version of Monkey Island 2 (I don't know about the other versions) has music written for MT-32, Adlib and the PC speaker. The PC speaker music isn't supported by ScummVM. If you select the Adlib driver, ScummVM will play the Adlib music. If you select a MIDI driver (e.g. Windows MIDI), ScummVM will play the MT-32 music.

However, since most users don't actually have an MT-32, ScummVM tries to remap the MT-32 instruments to General MIDI equivalents. With varying degree of success, I might add. To disable this remapping, you have to enable the True Roland MT-32 (disable GM emulation).

Some of the game's sound effects are only available as Adlib sounds. If you want ScummVM to play the MT-32 music and the missing sound effects, you have to enable the Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode setting.

These two options, and more, are described in the ScummVM README file under Using MIDI options to customize Native MIDI output, though I have to admit that I don't understand all of it.

There's also the MT-32 music driver, which emulates an MT-32. But since it requires data files extracted from a real MT-32 to work, I have never used it myself so I don't really know anything about it.

The Adlib music driver should always work, if you can get any sound from ScummVM at all.

If you don't get any sound from the MIDI sound driver, the problem is probably outside of ScummVM. For instance, on my Linux box, I have to make sure to load a SoundFont first. (This has nothing at all to do with the ScummVM SoundFont setting.) On Windows, the most common problem seems to be that - for whatever reason - the MIDI volume has been turned down, or even muted completely.

Does any of this help?
Ace2020Boyd

Post by Ace2020Boyd »

If you select a MIDI driver (e.g. Windows MIDI), ScummVM will play the MT-32 music.
i had it set to that then it used to play the music as shown in the video but now it wont
the MIDI volume has been turned down, or even muted completely
if thats the case were do i find the volume controll for that

and thanks for the info to
Ace2020Boyd

Post by Ace2020Boyd »

i got it to work thanks for your help :D eriktorbjorn i guess it was the volume control