General Game Speed on W950i

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scipio

General Game Speed on W950i

Post by Scipio »

Hi,
I`am thinking of buying a Sony W950 (UIQ3) and wonder about the speed of old scumm games (MI, Sam&Max, Dott, Indy etc.). Is it the same as if I would play it on PC or do I have to wait for every new screen?
In another thread Noelemahc wrote, that "The Dig" has a very slow game speed, of course it`s a "newer" adventure... :-)

Could someone tell me, how the speed is... and if the "vertical scroll bug" is really solved (-->no crashes) using the builds of Anotherguest

Thanks
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. speeds depends very much on the game.
Some of the games which are using encoded ogg/mp3 is scanned to build an index, and fileperformance on flash filesystems are generally very slow. But once the game is up and running its usually ok.

Also for example Full throttles full screen movies might be a little bit slow.

Also memory constrains might also cause problems for some of the games (like FT).

I think that you scroll show how, i.e might not look perfect, but it does not crash.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Don't cite me, as The DIG is the only 320x200 game that's problematic. Besides, it's not slow per se, it just LOADS very slowly. Older (i.e. non-CD-only) games work at 100% speed, so does Full Throttle.
I even got CoMI to run! Except that it hangs dead on when Guybrush wakes up next to Wally in the very beginning. But the movies work, which is kinda good. Right?

A good idea is to use ScummVM's tools to reencode the talkie or CD-audio games you will use into OGG (yes, even the SAN files), this gives you better loading times (less to load) and smaller filesizes too (which is important if you, like me, plan on also using the W950i in its primary (i.e. MP3-player) function).

Of the non-SCUMM games, FOTAQ works pretty well, BaSS is a bit glitchy in the talkie version (sound skips a bit but it's the way BaSS handles sound and the phone's very limited processor power), Simon the Sorcerer is slow as heck, the Elvira games work quite good, of the Gobliiins-engine games only the first two and Ween work - Bargon is stuck because the keymapper doesn't work and we can't get out of the demo loop and the other games aren't supported yet. I'm yet to try and Humongous games simply because I haven't got any...
Have seen Freddi Fish on sale in a nearby store though, might check it out in the future...

And no, the scroll bug is there, but it's not a show-stopper, and it only occurs in a few games in just a handful of places. Let's pretend everything's fine and dandy, right? After all, how else would we be able to play these fine games on our mobiles...
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

So, finally i tried it on my ney W950i... it works perfect with
MI1, MI2 and Sam&Max (Talkie). Game Speed is the same like on my computer. The speech in Sam&MAx is a tiny, little bit out of synch, but that´s no real problem and could be a problem of the ogg-conversion...
good work! :wink:
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Everything works fine, but now I have another question:
Is it possible to run scummvm in fullscreen-mode? I always have this blue bar on the bottom of the screen (MI is a 320*200 game but the w950i-display has 320*240).
The symbian/scumm-wiki says, that I have to push OK+1 or 2 activate the "upsale-mode"... but the w950i has no OK-button.
Are there perhaps some console/commandline codes for this?

Thx
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

The scaling modes are for small-screen phones only. You have to live with the bar, I'm afraid. Not that it ever bothered me, actually. I find it quite comforting to have a place to click at to keep the backlight alive while watching cutscenes so as not to interrupt anything...

And it's naturally gone in the 640x480 games (tested on CoMI and Spy Fox 1), but that has a problem of its own - the SCUMM menu is too tiny :(

P.S. The jog click is our OK button, dude.
Pogo{

Post by Pogo{ »

Actually there is a very nice upscaling mode for the uiq3 port. It works great on the p990 and probably would work just as well on the w950, if it was possible to enable it there :)
I know AnotherGuest is aware of the problem so it will probably get fixed sooner or later, see this thread for more info -> http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4071
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

"P.S. The jog click is our OK button, dude."

Yeah, thats true, but pressing the jog opens the scumm menue...so it won´t work...
But it won´t work anyway, if the scaling is only for small screens.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Pogo{ wrote:I know AnotherGuest is aware of the problem so it will probably get fixed sooner or later, see this thread for more info -> http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4071
Hey, I didn't know it would work for us too! Me wants! Me wants!