R4DS can't find game .exe

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scooby

R4DS can't find game .exe

Post by Scooby »

Hi
I have installed ScummVM (recommended via the forum), downloaded 'dlditool' to patch the ScummVM files, and copied the ScummVM folder to the micro-SD.

I then copied, as an example, Monkey Island 1 & 2 to the micro-SD, slotted it into the R4DS and started up the ScummVM interface by selecting one of the '.nds' files (between a-f) from the ScummVM directory on the root. It then says;
"Warning, can't find the SAV for this file. Do you want to create it?" Options: OK, CANCEL, IGNORE.
So then I touch "OK".

Then, I browsed to the folder "games" containing the Monkey Island games folders then browsed into their respective folders, and there are no exectuable files to select. It gives me the message;
"ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!"

Does anyone know the reason for this?
Do I have a bad version of ScummVM?
Are the LucasArts games .exe files in the wrong format?

I don't think it is a problem with my micro-SD or R4DS as they are brand new out of the package

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Last edited by Scooby on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clem

Post by clem »

if the DS launcher is anything like the Windows/Linux one, then you won't see files - you just select the whole directory/folder the games are in

also, not a single ScummVM-supported game needs the original .exe files
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Yeah, I click "add" when I've browsed to the game directory, as far as I can go, but it just says that game files are not found.

So if the game exe files are not needed, how does the ScummVM software know what to look for to play the game?
clem

Post by clem »

Scooby wrote:So if the game exe files are not needed, how does the ScummVM software know what to look for to play the game?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

edit: the original .exe files just interpreted the game scripts which are in the datafiles; ScummVM does that instead of the original .exe
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

So exactly which files do I need on my DS?
Admittedly, I can't see it helping me find the game file to select, but I'd like to know anyway.
cde

File lists

Post by cde »

Your card's file structure might look something like this.

You can find instructions for encoding the original Monkey Island 1 & 2 CD using CDex elsewhere on the web, but ScummVM *will* (should!) recognise these two games if the following files are present. Just make sure you are looking inside the monkey1 or monkey2 folder when you ask it to identify the game and it should be fine...

(File sizes might be different for some people, these were from a bought, GENUINE CD & encoded by me, so perhaps older/newer CDex versions might not give identical results?)

Code: Select all

Games\Monkey1
    8,955 MONKEY1.000
4,779,713 MONKEY1.001
1,377,852 track10.wav
1,040,444 track11.wav
1,541,692 track12.wav
1,366,076 track13.wav
  205,372 track14.wav
1,759,292 track15.wav
1,653,820 track16.wav
2,464,828 track17.wav
1,800,252 track18.wav
1,754,172 track19.wav
1,338,940 track2.wav
  204,860 track20.wav
  187,964 track21.wav
1,495,100 track22.wav
1,582,652 track23.wav
1,358,396 track24.wav
1,625,148 track25.wav
1,379,388 track3.wav
1,375,292 track4.wav
1,284,156 track5.wav
1,415,740 track6.wav
  138,812 track7.wav
  777,276 track8.wav
1,544,764 track9.wav

Games\MONKEY2
   11,135 MONKEY2.000
9,080,329 MONKEY2.001
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ok, I managed to get the games working, miraculously. I followed the guide, exactly, step-by-step on this page:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/feature.asp?c=3252

I am now left with a different problem however. My version of Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis plays ok, but when the incidental sounds and speech should kick in, nothing happens. Only the music!

The original game file on my PC works perfectly with speech through the PC ScummVM, but for some reason this doesn't.

HELP!
clem

Post by clem »

Scooby wrote:The original game file on my PC works perfectly with speech through the PC ScummVM, but for some reason this doesn't.
is the game data uncompressed? PC ScummVM supports compression formats which the DS doesn't support.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Yeah, all game data on every game is unzipped or uncompressed. All other games seem to work fine.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

There are three types of speech file used with ScummVM.

monster.sou: original data file off the CD, work fine with ScummVM DS.
monster.sog: compressed data file with ScummVM Tools, NOT compatible with ScummVM DS.
monster.so3: compressed data file with ScummVM Tools, compatible with ScummVM DS, but with some slowdown in some scenes.

If you have a monster.sog, delete it.

Other than that, if speech doesn't play, speech might have been disabled in the options. Delete your scummvm.ini file to reset all options. The default is to play with speech.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

AgentQ, you are a massive help. Thanks so much.

I found I have a .sog file, and need an .sou. Sadly, I don't have the original CD for the game anymore (along with half my LucasArts Archives set :-( ). Is there anywhere I can obtain or download an Indy FoA .sou?
cde

Friendly warning...

Post by cde »

Don't ask for downloads, you'll get all kinds of negative responses.

The short answer is no, there is no place you can download a FoA .sou file, because it would be illegal.

You can get the game on eBay, it seems that mint copies command high prices but PC CD versions are not hard to find for a few pounds/euros/dollars.

Furthermore, there is no tool (yet?) to uncompress a .sog file into a .sou file. Not sure if one will ever exist either, there seems to be little demand. With a lot of skill it might be possible to take the ogg data from a .sog file and transcode it to mp3, then manually rebuild a .so3 file, but even if you spend your working life in a hex editor that probably won't be possible!

Anyway, if your CD was broken, lost or sold, or maybe never existed, it makes no difference in the eyes of the ScummVM developers. Just thought a friendly warning would be worthwhile.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Oh yeah, I know all too well it's illegal - doesn't stop people uploading torrents across the web tho.

I used torrents to download a few games from my LucasArts archives pack, as my PC won't read the disks for whatever reason, but as far as I'm concerned, if I've paid for the original, owning a downloaded copy of it is justified. But I'm not here to get into these trivial and inconcequential moral debates, merely to get an old game working on my DS.

These games should be re-released for the DS anyway I think, I'd be happy to pay for them all over again, as the DS's capabilities are perfect for the style of gameplay. Such a shame that LucasArts seem blind to this fact and continue to ignore the platform for these titles.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

or the wii... but forum rule #0, g'day
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Aye, forum rule 0. Locking the topic