Indy Fate of Atlantis: no speech problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scooby

Indy Fate of Atlantis: no speech problem

Post by Scooby »

I have an R4DS with 2gb micro-SD card.
My version of Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis plays ok through ScummVM DS, but when the incidental sounds and speech should kick in, nothing happens. Only the music!

The original game file on my PC works perfectly with speech through the PC ScummVM, but for some reason this doesn't.

HELP!
Last edited by Scooby on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

I just found this piece of informatin opnline:

-------------------------------------------------
Converting Speech files to MP3 format

ScummVM supports playing back speech for talkie games in MP3 format. Unfortunately, the DS CPU is not quite up to the task, and MP3 audio will sometimes cause slowdown in your game. However, if your flash card isn't big enough to fit the audio files on, you will have no choice!

To convert your audio you will need a copy of the ScummVM Tools package. You will also need a copy of the LAME MP3 encoder.

Once this is all installed and set up, the process to encode your audio varies from game to game, but the Lucasarts games can all be compressed using the following command line:
compress_scumm_sou --mp3 monster.sou
This produces a monster.so3 file which you can copy to your flash card and replaces the original monster.sou. Ogg format (monster.sog) and flac format files are not currently supported by ScummVM DS, and it is unlikely they will ever be supported. There is no way to convert .sog or .so3 files back to .sou files. Just dig out your original CD and copy the file from that.
-----------------------------------------------------

The problem here is, how do I compress the monster.sou file? I'm not particularly tech-headed when it comes to using DOS, is that what needs to be done? Isn't there anything in the Scumm VM tools and Lame mp3 folders, that allow me to this via a graphical interface? The readme files in either folder are useless.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

By the way, the monster.sou file IS included with all other Indy game files, on the SD card, inside the R4DS. Still no luck.
cde

ScummVM Toolbox

Post by cde »

Get ScummVM Toolbox from http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software#scummvmtoolbox - it is far easier than DOS :)
cde

Post by cde »

On the other hand, I have had troubles getting ScummVM Toolbox to work, it just insists on re-downloading the tools packages. There are plenty of step-by-step, "type this and it works" guides online for converting your audio in a command window.

DOS isn't scary, that's just DOS users... :D
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ok, thanks for the help. I already have the scummVM toolbox, I used it to patch the ScummVM files before copying them to the DS.

How does this work with the monster.sou file? Will it convert it into a .so3 file?

I think it's this that's causing the problem, as it controls all this sound in the game.