ScummVM 0.10.0a won't start properly on my R4

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

ScummVM 0.10.0a won't start properly on my R4

Post by marzipan »

As I'm using the latest R4 firmware available (v1.11), I just simply plonk the NDS files as they are since they don't need to be DLDI-patched in advance.

However, when I try to start any one of them up, the status window appears at the top, and then it all stops after "ZIP File Detected OK!" (or whatever it actually says). I don't get the GUI at the bottom. The thing is, I'm not using any ZIPs on my card.

Is ScummVM not able to understand R4's autopatching capabilities so far?
cde

Post by cde »

My first suggestion (as an M3 Simply user, pretty much an R4 card) would be to DLDI patch the file first, and see if that helps.

Perhaps there is not enough space on your MicroSD card for the auto-patching process (no idea how much it takes, if any, but you never know)?

Another thing that some people have encountered is issues using FAT rather than FAT32 on their MicroSD cards. Try formatting the card as FAT32 in Windows, put just the system files and ScummVM on there (and maybe one test game) and see what happens.

If that works, fill the card up and see if it still works, and hopefully this will be one of those many issues that never really gets identified but is resolved anyway :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Well, I've not seen this before, but it looks like it's finding a zip file in slot-2 memory. What do you have in slot-2? It's possible that if there is a game plugged in which happens to ue Zip file internally, then this is causing the problem.

Unplug the device from slot-2.

You shouldn't get the message 'ZIP File found Ok!' when using an R4DS. The zip files are used only on devices that don't work with DLDI drivers.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Turns out you were correct, agentq. Unplugging the Slot 2 cartridge got rid of the problem.

It's strange though, because I seem to recall being able to run it without a problem while having a cart in Slot 2 before. I don't know if it reacts to certain types of cartridges or what, but the cart in question was this game. Something to do with generic carts perhaps?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I search for a zip file on the Gba cart on startup. The game you were using must use zip files to store it's data and Scummvm found it and switched to zip file mode, a mode used to run Scummvm on some older devices.