directory for scummvm.ini?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

angrykid

directory for scummvm.ini?

Post by angrykid »

hi,

scummvm is such a great, easy usable programm, why are you messing this experience with the saving directory for the scummvm.ini?

i can tell you whats the problem about it: i have a rar file with my whole scummvm, some games, and my HANDWRITTEN ini file, which sets up everything like i want it to (no interpolation, 3x size). so i unrar my rar, and everything would work from scratch IF THE INI FILE WOULD BE SEARCHED OF IN THE SAME DIRECTORY!

if you say some users want a different ini file for each user who has a account on the computer, even this could be handled of, if you search for the ini first in the same directory the .exe is, and second search in the profile directory of the user. so if the multi-user pc has no ini file in the install directory (which is the current setup of a naked scummvm install from zip), scummvm would find the profile ini's. on a single user pc as mine scummvm would search for the ini in the install directory and find the ini there (if any).

id really like to see such handling in a future realease of scummvm.
besides of this, scummvm is still a very good programm, which runs all my favorite old fashioned games.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

It is possible to use custom ini files

You could run ScummVM like this:

Code: Select all

scummvm -c .\scummvm.ini
Which would tell ScummVM to use the ini file "scummvm.ini" in the current directory. You could create a batch file with the aforementioned command and start it from there
angrykid

Post by angrykid »

ok, that works, thank you.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

What I still wonder about is why you need to be able to "unrar and just run" ScummVM. Are you moving to new computers that often? Also, why is it a problem to simply move the .ini file to the appropriate place?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

fingolfin wrote:What I still wonder about is why you need to be able to "unrar and just run" ScummVM. Are you moving to new computers that often? Also, why is it a problem to simply move the .ini file to the appropriate place?
hey, you'd have to click something at least two times, I'd be exhausted:D
NLS

Post by NLS »

I don't get it, isn't the ini file looked for in the . directory of the exe already?

Proper seeking is important (if it is not already implemented), but the correct way is first look in profile THEN in current directory, not the other way around (I don't think there is need of explanation on why).

Of course the best would be to read both (if exist) and use the profile parameters except if there is a parameter missing for which it looks on the main ini.

Science fiction?

Anyway, I too don't get the "unzip and run", although I do understand the need for a portable scummvm (the way I use it for years - as it is in one of my external disks) - one more reason I hate the registry (that's another story though).
lwc

Post by lwc »

This topic should be moved in the support forum.

That aside, I think NLS is right. I see no reason why the program shouldn't look for the INI in both the current folder and the default place.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This is not that easy. For example, different users do have different expectations as to which of the two (or more ?) .ini files should have precedence.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if we looked for an .ini in the current dir first, then fall back to one in a central location. After all, normally one should not have an .ini file in the same file as the .exe, unless one put it there on purpose...