Gabriel Knight PC Voices on Mac?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Crimsonskies

Gabriel Knight PC Voices on Mac?

Post by Crimsonskies »

I know Gabriel Knight doesn't work in scummvm but I have no clue where else I can ask this question and get a helpful answer. Is there a way I can take the voices from the PC version of Gabriel Knight and use them in the Mac version? Thanks!
clem

Re: Gabriel Knight PC Voices on Mac?

Post by clem »

Crimsonskies wrote:I know Gabriel Knight doesn't work in scummvm but I have no clue where else I can ask this question and get a helpful answer. Is there a way I can take the voices from the PC version of Gabriel Knight and use them in the Mac version? Thanks!
If you have the PC version, why bother with the Mac version at all?

And you're right, this is definitely the wrong forum to ask this kind of question.
Crimsonskies

Re: Gabriel Knight PC Voices on Mac?

Post by Crimsonskies »

clem wrote:If you have the PC version, why bother with the Mac version at all?
I don't actually own the PC version my friend does. But the voices aren't working in my version even though I tried everything to fix it so I wanted to know if I could use the voices from his copy instead.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

you're entering a grey area here ...
Collector

Post by Collector »

If this is this a floppy version, you can't do it. The game can be had rather cheaply: Gabriel Knight Sins of The Fathers.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Collector wrote:If this is this a floppy version, you can't do it. The game can be had rather cheaply: Gabriel Knight Sins of The Fathers.
Thanks I guess I'll have to put up with no voices then :cry:. At the moment there are only two copies of Gabriel Knights on ebay and they are both for windows not mac.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Crimsonskies wrote:At the moment there are only two copies of Gabriel Knights on ebay and they are both for windows not mac.
But that is exactly what you want. The DOS version easily runs in DOSBox. The Mac version will only run in Classic mode, which is not available on newer Macs.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Collector wrote:But that is exactly what you want. The DOS version easily runs in DOSBox. The Mac version will only run in Classic mode, which is not available on newer Macs.
:D That's awesome thanks! But just to confirm this before I go and spend money on something that might not end up working, the windows version is the DOS version which has voices and I can run it on my Mac using DOSBox?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Crimsonskies wrote:But just to confirm this before I go and spend money on something that might not end up working, the windows version is the DOS version which has voices and I can run it on my Mac using DOSBox?
Indeed.

The PC disc of the game includes both a DOS version and a Windows version.

DOSBox can play the DOS version without any problem, and is available for Mac OS X.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Freddo wrote: Indeed.

The PC disc of the game includes both a DOS version and a Windows version.

DOSBox can play the DOS version without any problem, and is available for Mac OS X.
Great that really helps me out :D. Thanks again guys!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Crimsonskies wrote:
Collector wrote:But that is exactly what you want. The DOS version easily runs in DOSBox. The Mac version will only run in Classic mode, which is not available on newer Macs.
:D That's awesome thanks! But just to confirm this before I go and spend money on something that might not end up working, the windows version is the DOS version which has voices and I can run it on my Mac using DOSBox?
If I remember correctly, the PC version should contain both a DOS and a Windows executable
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote: If I remember correctly, the PC version should contain both a DOS and a Windows executable
I remember that the Windows version had a higher resolution mouse pointer, buttons and some of the objects were higher resolution too - looked kinda odd on the 2x scaled backgrounds though. I think it's a Win32 programs so I'd assume it runs in WINE.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

clem wrote:I remember that the Windows version had a higher resolution mouse pointer, buttons and some of the objects were higher resolution too - looked kinda odd on the 2x scaled backgrounds though. I think it's a Win32 programs so I'd assume it runs in WINE.
It's possible to play the DOS version in 640x480 too.

But as you said, the game art is indeed 2x scaled, so it's kinda pointless. The only changes are that the mouse pointer is smaller, cause it's not scaled, and the user-interface looks "better". I also think the text looks worse cause it's scaled from 320x200 to 640x480 and isn't a "perfect" 2x scale.

So yeah, I prefer to play the game in 320x200.
Collector

Post by Collector »

clem wrote:I think it's a Win32 programs so I'd assume it runs in WINE.
It is a Win 3x game (without the need of Win32s), thus 16 bit. As far as the graphics go, it does support VESA.
BigT

Post by BigT »

The dos version is superior to the Windows 3.1 version (b/w cursors and title bar on top of screen).

As mentioned, the Dos version supports both VESA (640x480) and VGA (320x200). Under dosbox, there are advantages/disadvantages to each mode.

VESA has nicer cursors, nicer menu/status at top of screen, a redrawn map, and redrawn character closeups, as well as a nicer credits screen. However, since the main graphics are just 2x scaled 320x200, this defeats many of the filters in dosbox (2xsai, etc.). Also, the videos in the game are not scaled, so they so up as 1/2 original size.