Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

oscard

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Post by oscard »

to ScummVM team:

Hi guys. Your work is great!
Do you plan to add support for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers ?
Thanks for the answer :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Post by eriktorbjorn »

oscard wrote: Do you plan to add support for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers ?
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: The first two Gabriel Knight games use the SCI engine. (The third one, according to an article by one of the developers, used an engine named "Sheep".) The FreeSCI project is working on supporting the Sierra games, though not yet the Gabriel Knight games since they use a too recent version of the engine.

There has been some work on on making it possible to compile the FreeSCI engine as a part of ScummVM, but of course that has no impact on which games it supports.
oscard

Post by oscard »

:cry:
Thanks for explanation...
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

The engine is 3D so probably won't fit into FreeSCI or ScummVM. I think that maybe someday in the future it will be into a project like Residual.

Read this article, it's quite interesting and explains the development of the game:

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/publish/ ... _draft.htm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... hp?print=1 (this one features graphics)

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/publish/ ... _final.pdf (pdf version, it seems the best one)
Last edited by timofonic on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

The Madventurer wrote:The engine is 3D so probably won't fit into FreeSCI or ScummVM.
Nope, Sins of the Fathers (1993) is the first installment of the series and is thoroughly 2D.
oscard

Post by oscard »

The Madventurer wrote:The engine is 3D so probably won't fit into FreeSCI or ScummVM. I think that maybe someday in the future it will be into a project like Residual.

Read this article, it's quite interesting and explains the development of the game:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... hp?print=1
Only GK3 is in 3D. I posted here about GK1 (from 1993)
I hope one day i will able to play all 3 ames on PPC :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Ok, sorry. I got confused when someone talked about the Sheep engine and such. Sorry, I'm tired and misunderstood the thread.

I need caffeine! :)
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
oscard wrote: Do you plan to add support for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers ?

Longer answer: The first two Gabriel Knight games use the SCI engine. (The third one, according to an article by one of the developers, used an engine named "Sheep".) The FreeSCI project is working on supporting the Sierra games, though not yet the Gabriel Knight games since they use a too recent version of the engine.

There has been some work on on making it possible to compile the FreeSCI engine as a part of ScummVM, but of course that has no impact on which games it supports.
since Freesci is going to be implemented into ScummvVM im sure Gabriel Knight will work some day. :D
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

fischkopf wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote:

since Freesci is going to be implemented into ScummvVM im sure Gabriel Knight will work some day. :D
Well, you can already watch the intro and start the game, and see/play a severely glitchy beginning of the game. It's a start!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

KuroShiro wrote:Well, you can already watch the intro and start the game, and see/play a severely glitchy beginning of the game. It's a start!
That's cool 8)

There are now only two 2D adventure games I would like to see in ScummVM and those are the first Gabriel Knight and Dreamweb. After that ScummVM will be perfect in my eyes, and Dreamweb isn't that important either :P