Recording Videos in ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The Tingler

Recording Videos in ScummVM

Post by The Tingler »

Hi, I wondered if it was possible to record videos of gameplay of games running through ScummVM? I've tried using FRAPS and a few other programs but none of them seem to work with ScummVM.

Any recommendations or advice?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

It's strange, Fraps doesn't work with ScummVM - even if the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable is set to "DirectX" (Fraps supports DirectX/OpenGL titles only). You could always try Camtasia Studio instead:
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp
Collector

Post by Collector »

If it is a DOS game that you are trying to capture, DOSBox has a built in video capture.
The Tingler

Post by The Tingler »

Thanks, I'll give Camtasia a try. Pity it's only a free trial thing, have to find something more permanent.

And DOSBox scares me!
chojin

Post by chojin »

There is Hypercam (shareware) and CamStudio (GPL, free), but I tried neither of them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio
Collector

Post by Collector »

The Tingler wrote:And DOSBox scares me!
DOSBox is easy to use. In many cases all you have to do is to drop the game's executable on a DOSBox shortcut. If this is not easy enough for you, there are several frontends.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Collector wrote:
The Tingler wrote:And DOSBox scares me!
DOSBox is easy to use. In many cases all you have to do is to drop the game's executable on a DOSBox shortcut. If this is not easy enough for you, there are several frontends.
I personally found the old DOS shell easier to use than most DOSBox frontends I found. And when it comes to high performance games, DOSBox needs a bit of tweaking, which is non trivial for the average user, so I would agree that DOSBox is not easy to use. (At least in some cases, sometimes it might be fine though)
Collector

Post by Collector »

Not to belabor the point, but there is almost no game of the sort that ScummVM supports, i.e. point and click 2D adventures, that require tweaking. The last three versions have core=auto and cycles=auto as default, which works without tweaking in most cases. The main problem that noobs encounter is just with mounting drives. For classic DOS gaming, if it is not a ScummVM supported game, DOSBox should always be the first tool to try.
The Tingler

Post by The Tingler »

Maybe I have to give DosBOX a try then.
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

Collector wrote:If it is a DOS game that you are trying to capture, DOSBox has a built in video capture.
How does this built in video capture work? capture button etc? any settings you need to change before?

previosly i tried to use Fraps in Dosbox on Aladdin, i got a frozen video lol
raina

Post by raina »

It's explained in the manual, and you can define the capture key in the keymapper. You might need to install the video codec bundled with DOSBox if you haven't already, at least for playing and editing the file in Windows.
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

raina wrote:It's explained in the manual, and you can define the capture key in the keymapper. You might need to install the video codec bundled with DOSBox if you haven't already, at least for playing and editing the file in Windows.
Is this the manual you mean?
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_ ... _of_DosBox
i didnt find anything about capture there?

I have installed MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec however

what does keymapper mean? is that dosbox.conf?
Collector

Post by Collector »

He means the README.
Kloppstock

Post by Kloppstock »

Collector wrote:He means the README.
Ok, capture works for me now

on fasst unrelated question just, after installing v 0.72 the screen size is now less stretched out in the corner than before installing, its still fullscreen thou, and changing resolution in dosbox.conf doesnt change it

going back to ancient versions of dosbox is allso perm affected after ones installing 0.72 :) what is this?
Collector

Post by Collector »

This is DOSBox related. For help with DOSBox ask on VOGONS.