Kyrandia 1 & 2 - no music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sordid

Kyrandia 1 & 2 - no music

Post by Sordid »

With latest 5 or 6 SVN's (could be more) no music with Kyrandia 1 & 2 using Vista. Any idea? Every other game using midi is working fine
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Kyrandia 1 & 2 - no music

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Sordid wrote:With latest 5 or 6 SVN's (could be more) no music with Kyrandia 1 & 2 using Vista. Any idea? Every other game using midi is working fine
(I'm not really the right person to answer this, but I haven't seen the Kyrandia engine maintainer in a while. Maybe he's on vacation.)

I get MIDI music in Kyrandia 1 but not Kyrandia 2. (I used to get MIDI music in both, but not any longer.) From what I understand, MIDI music is still considered unsupported for these games, but Adlib should work.
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

You're right....adlib's working fine. Well, let's hope midi's coming back again...wanna hear my fancy soundfonts once again :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Sordid wrote:With latest 5 or 6 SVN's (could be more) no music with Kyrandia 1 & 2 using Vista. Any idea? Every other game using midi is working fine
(I'm not really the right person to answer this, but I haven't seen the Kyrandia engine maintainer in a while. Maybe he's on vacation.)

I get MIDI music in Kyrandia 1 but not Kyrandia 2. (I used to get MIDI music in both, but not any longer.) From what I understand, MIDI music is still considered unsupported for these games, but Adlib should work.
Funny, i get MIDI in both 1 and 2 with the latest svn build for AmigaOS4 (SDL backend)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Funny, i get MIDI in both 1 and 2 with the latest svn build for AmigaOS4 (SDL backend)
Oh, right, I forgot... I actually looked into the missing music once, and it turned out it was because I had set the music volume to max, which is 256. The Kyra engine represents volume as a byte, so 256 gets truncated to 0.

Edit: I've fixed it so that the volume in the Kyra engine is limited to the 0-255 range. It seemed like the smallest/safest change to make. I don't remember why the problem didn't affect Adlib music.
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Thanks for the help!!!!! Set volume to 255 and midi worked! GREAT!
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Tried latest SVN and problem is solved. Even volume set to 256 is working. Thanks!
theruler

Post by theruler »

Latest win svn build (16 sep). The midi stopped to function.

Code: Select all

User picked target 'kyra1-cd' (gameid 'kyra1')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Legend of Kyrandia Engine
  Starting 'The Legend of Kyrandia'
WARNING: SearchSet::add: archive 'D:\_ScummVM\Extra\' already present!
WARNING: FilesystemNode::openForReading: FilesystemNode does not exist!
WARNING: Unsupported XMIDI controller 111 (0x6f)!
is it just me or the problem is diffused?[/code]
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

theruler wrote:Latest win svn build (16 sep). The midi stopped to function.
The music still works as well as it used to for me. I don't get the "FilesystemNode does not exist" warning, so I don't know what that means. Since you get the "Unsupported XMIDI controller", it's clearly found the music and is trying to play something at least.

The XMIDI warning itself should be pretty harmless. It's just a reminder that ScummVM's XMIDI implementation isn't complete. (111 is the "Channel Lock Protect" controller event.)
theruler

Post by theruler »

Last downloaded Build seem to have solved my problem...
and it seemed to be mine only.
Sorry, didn't want to pester.

Anyway the:

still says nothing to me.
I have "extra" folder where I put every dat files...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

theruler wrote: WARNING: SearchSet::add: archive 'D:\_ScummVM\Extra\' already present!
I get warnings about my "extra path" too. I assume it has to do with some recent changes, but I think they're harmless. I don't know what your last warning signifies, though.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

works fine for me, love this game, thanks so much for the support for these classics! Too bad they never finished the 4th one. :)
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

CrisGer wrote:works fine for me, love this game, thanks so much for the support for these classics! Too bad they never finished the 4th one. :)
Thats the 1st time i ever heard about a 4th Kyrandia game and google doesnt seem to know anything about it too....

Any link handy that talks about this?
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

The PC version of scummVM 0.12 does not behave badly soundwise on my laptop when processing kyra1 and kyra2.

The MIDI problems persists, in the CE port of scummVM 0.12. The music hangs in certain situations and can only be unstuck by turning the sound and music off and on again, which certainly subtract from the game playability due to sore ears.

I have not tried kyra3, but this applies to kyra1&2.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

pncFreak wrote:The MIDI problems persists, in the CE port of scummVM 0.12. The music hangs in certain situations and can only be unstuck by turning the sound and music off and on again, which certainly subtract from the game playability due to sore ears.
WinCE should actually use AdLib not MIDI.
pncFreak wrote:I have not tried kyra3, but this applies to kyra1&2.
Kyra3 only uses digital music, so it shouldn't have any AdLib related problems ;-)