Wrong Aspect In Full Screen

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

simplesimon

Wrong Aspect In Full Screen

Post by simplesimon »

I've got a widescreen monitor so I have to use the aspect correction in scummvm to maintain the correct aspect in windowed mode but that correction doesn't carry over when I go into fullscreen mode. Is there any way to make this work or is this a feature being worked on for a future release? Also I can't view the scummvm menu in fullscreen because apparently scummvm's native fullscreen is 640x480 which is a resolution my monitor doesn't support. It's possible that the two problems are related. Maybe if support for multiple fullscreen resoultions was emplamented then that would fix both things.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Switch to 3x scaler in window mode and only then go to fullscreen. README explains how to do it.

Eugene
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

The only scaler that works for me is the 2x. When I try to take an unscaled or 3x scaled work fine in windowed mode but in fullscreen they are blurry and distorted because they are in some aspect ratio that my monitor can't handle. The 2x works fine in fullscreen but instead of maintaing the 4:3 aspect ratio it stretches the picture to 16:9.

And to be honest the ReadMe doesn't cover this subject because I read it before I posted.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Turn off autostretch of your monitor. even 2x would only be 640x480 and stretch that to 1450x900, that would n't look nice.

Usually (depends on OS and graphics card I know) you can decide if the OS or the Screen should handle the stretching.
Lostech

Post by Lostech »

ATI graphic cards driver (CATALYST) have also an option to activate stretching (GPU scaling).
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I think my NVidea graphics card only does a 16:9 aspect through it's hdmi output which is what I'm using. I can change the setting on my monitor to 4:3 but that only cuts off the sides of the picture since the video card is still providing a 16:9 output. But besides, every other emulator I have is able to maintain the original aspect ratio of 4:3 in fullscreen without requiring me to alter my video card/monitor setup so I don't understand why Scummvm wouldn't be able to do the same.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

thats a function i would like to see either.
ive got a nvidia 8800 gts and a samsung 931bw widescreen lcd and it is not possible to get 4:3 resolutions in its correct aspect ratio, the monitor just doesnt have the feature, and the nvidia drivers' feature for correct aspect ratio wont work, i tried like 10 different driver versions.
with a hp monitor from a friend the nvidia function just works fine, so i guess samsung is the problem.

however, the old adventures look awful in stretched 16:10..... :(
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Have you tried changing the videodriver SDL is using?
This can be done by setting the environment variable
SDL_VIDEODRIVER.
For example you can try "directx" as a value for it.

The default videodriver is "windib" for combability reasons, but it might not be the optimal for your graphicscard/screen combo.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Hi! Rather than make a seperate topic about this I figured I'd post it in this one...

I recently (finally) bought a new PC with a rather excellent 22 inch LCD screen, native resolution 1680x1050. When I run ScummVM in Fullscreen mode, I have to run it in 3x to actually get 'full screen' - this is fine except that the picture displays incorrectly, with part of the picture missing from the top of the screen. It's not so bad in 'Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis' where almost nothing ever happens in that area, but in 'Maniac Mansion' and 'Zak McKracken', half of the message bar is obscured, making it an unpleasant viewing experience. Any way to get around this and still have proper full screen? 1680x1050 mode perhaps, or is there some setting I can change? Thanks in advance.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Most games are nativly 320x200 or 320x240, a couple VGA at 640x400/640x480. What you get is multiples of 2 or 3x of that, so 960x600/960x720 at x3 or 1280x800/1280x960 for the full VGA games at x2.

The main bulk of rendering is done by the SDL backend, so it mostly depends on how SDL is setting and handling the screenmode, i.e there might be a big difference between directx modes and windib modes.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

Anotherguest wrote:Have you tried changing the videodriver SDL is using?
This can be done by setting the environment variable
SDL_VIDEODRIVER.
For example you can try "directx" as a value for it.

The default videodriver is "windib" for combability reasons, but it might not be the optimal for your graphicscard/screen combo.
i dont really know where to change it? is it a windows setting or a scummvm setting? if it is a scummvm setting i guess it wont help, because i got that problem in every game that doesnt support widescreen resolutions...
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Its a Windows setting.
There are a couple of ways to set it, either locally for ScummVM or as a global Windows setting.

See here:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-04.html

Add a variable by clicking "New". Variable name: SDL_VIDEODRIVER and Variable value: directx . Click OK!
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

Anotherguest wrote:Its a Windows setting.
There are a couple of ways to set it, either locally for ScummVM or as a global Windows setting.

See here:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-04.html

Add a variable by clicking "New". Variable name: SDL_VIDEODRIVER and Variable value: directx . Click OK!
ah okay thank you, right now i am @ work so i cant test it yet.
i understood how to set it for the system, but how can i set it for just scummvm locally, as you said?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

homerjs wrote: ah okay thank you, right now i am @ work so i cant test it yet.
i understood how to set it for the system, but how can i set it for just scummvm locally, as you said?
You could try if this method works. (If it doesn't, or if there's a better way, the FAQ needs to be updated.)
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

ah my bad...
thank you very much :)