Inherit the Earth trial

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Inherit the Earth trial

Post by Red_Breast »

I had/have a problem with Inherit the Earth. First off I submitted a big report:

ScummVM svn 13 December
Win32XP pre-compiled
I have the full Bud Tucker game already added to my ScummVM list.
I've never tried Inherit the Earth. I downloaded the trial from Wyrmkeep.
I know you can play ITE without ScummVM but I wanted to compare it.
I tried to "add" ITE. But the ScummVM GUI under the "Game" tab gives me;
ID: tucker-demo
Name: Bud Tucker in Double Trouble (Demo/DOS/English)
Language: English
Platform: DOS.
However under the "Paths" tab;
Save: Default
Extra: None
Game: c:\my\scummvm\games\folder\ite.

So the "Paths" look OK. Don't know if it helps but my Bud Tucker folder is called "tucker".
----------------------------------------------------------
svn revision 35332 shows the fix
http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... sion=35332

I've just tried to "add" ITE again with a 15 Dec build. But now ScummVM can't find any game.
So I thought I'd check it with a stable 0.12 release and I get the same which is why I'm thinking it's something my end.
Anybody any ideas?
It's the Wyrmkeep trial I'm using. I assume if I buy it then I get the 4 folders, the .bbms and .iafs as well as the contents of my trial folder which just has the 4 .rsc files and the voices file which alone clocks in at 425MB.

From the wiki. Datafiles needed:
DOS CD, Floppy, Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux Demo, Mac OS X Demo, Windows Demo

* *.rsc
* *.bbm (if exists)
* *.iaf (if exists)
* graphics/ folder (if exists)
* music/ folder (if exists)
* patch/ folder (if exists)
* sound/ folder (if exists)
* Inherit the Earth Voices (for Mac OS X version)

So I'm trying it with the 4 .rsc files and I've tried it with and without the voices file. By the way why doesn't this voices file have an extension?
Anybody else using this trial? I know I could run it without ScummVM but one of the things I like about ScummVM is how it's just one launcher for everything and just one shortcut on the desktop.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Inherit the Earth trial

Post by sev »

Red_Breast wrote: Anybody else using this trial? I know I could run it without ScummVM but one of the things I like about ScummVM is how it's just one launcher for everything and just one shortcut on the desktop.
We will definitely will not add support for the trial, as that will effectively turn it into a full game for free. The trial files are not compatible with ScummVM, even if you will add md5s of it.

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

This is a bit confusing. Is there another demo or just these trials versions on the Wyrmkeep web site?

The ScummVM demo page points to the Wyrmkeep web site for the ite demo, which from what I understand in Sev post is not supported by ScummVM. Maybe this should be precised on the demo page. And also if no demo of ite can be played with ScummVM, what is the point of having the "Linux Demo, Mac OS X Demo, Windows Demo" mention on the Fatafiles page on the wiki. Shouldn't it be removed? I think it is confusing and gives us the (wrong) idea that the demo is playable with ScummVM.

And if there is a demo of ite that is playable with ScummVM, shouldn't it be the one linked to in the demo page?

Just my two cents.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

In the past, Wyrmkeep had a trial version of the game, which only included parts of it.

The trials they got now are actually full versions of the game, which can be unlocked with a special code you buy from them. Originally, they only gave such full versions for mobile devices, which is what sev is referring to. We can't add support for these versions, as the authentication check is performed by the game's executable.

You can download the original Windows demo, which is supported by ScummVM, from the following direct link:
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/downloads/itedemo.exe
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote:The trials they got now are actually full versions of the game, which can be unlocked with a special code you buy from them. Originally, they only gave such full versions for mobile devices, which is what sev is referring to. We can't add support for these versions, as the authentication check is performed by the game's executable.
I think the same also applies to some Humongous Entertainment game demos which are not supported by ScummVM.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Well that clears that up. Thanks.
I didn't realise that there was a demo and a trial.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Thanks for your answers.

But I am not ready to let you rest yet. I have two more questions. :twisted:

The first one is concern that version sold by Wyrmkeep. I think I missed something somewhere in your explanation md5. If I understand correctly, the trial version is actually the full game that needs a code to be unlocked (and this is handle by the executable, therefore I suppose the data files are not modified). Does that mean that if I buy this version and get the activation code I will not be able to play it with ScummVM?
I suppose it is possible to play it however, since on their website, below the "Download Trial" and "Purchase Game" buttons Wyrmkeep precises that "If your platform isn't listed above, support may be available via ScummVM." :?
And here I am confused again.

The second questions concerns the demo that can be played with ScummVM (the link given by md5). It is a windows executable (an installer I suppose). Is there a demo that I can use on a non Windows system (without having to fight with wine or something similar)?

I am perfectly aware that Wyrmkeep proposes trials/demo versions that work on Windows/Linux/MacOS X/Pocket PC/Amiga without ScummVM. But what if I wanted to try it yet on another system? (we have been spoiled by ScummVM and now we expects so much from it... :wink: )

Edit: I should read more carefully the small prints. :oops: From the Wyrmkeep website, just below the sentence I quoted above (use of ScummVm to play the game), we can read "You will need to purchase the CD-ROM version of the game." This answers my first question.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Glad I reread this thread.
So from what I understand now whatever state you have the trial in, locked or unlocked, ScummVM doesn't support it.
So for ScummVM I need the CD version.

Anybody played the other game Labyrinth of Time? If I'm going to order and pay p&p to the UK I might as well try to get the best possible deal.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

criezy wrote:The second questions concerns the demo that can be played with ScummVM (the link given by md5). It is a windows executable (an installer I suppose). Is there a demo that I can use on a non Windows system (without having to fight with wine or something similar)?
Yeah. Rename that .exe to .zip.

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

sev wrote:Yeah. Rename that .exe to .zip.
Well, that's the first thing that came to my mind. I tried it before posting the question and it didn't work. Maybe that's only an issue with the MacOS X zip/unzip utility. I will try with another one or on Linux this evening.

Edit: for some reasons most of the Mac utilities do not recognize this file as a zip archive, even if it is renamed with the .zip extension. The only way I found to unzip this file on a mac is to use the command line unzip in a terminal.
Last edited by criezy on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

criezy wrote:The first one is concern that version sold by Wyrmkeep. I think I missed something somewhere in your explanation md5. If I understand correctly, the trial version is actually the full game that needs a code to be unlocked (and this is handle by the executable, therefore I suppose the data files are not modified). Does that mean that if I buy this version and get the activation code I will not be able to play it with ScummVM?
I suppose it is possible to play it however, since on their website, below the "Download Trial" and "Purchase Game" buttons Wyrmkeep precises that "If your platform isn't listed above, support may be available via ScummVM." Confused
And here I am confused again.
No, the check if you bought the game or not is in the game's executable. ScummVM replaces that executable, so if we supported that version, there wouldn't be any check, so you would effectively had the whole game for free. Not good, so we'll not support that version even if you purchase a code