Remakes? King's Quest 1 VGA, King's Quest 2 VGA, etc?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Retrog33k

Remakes? King's Quest 1 VGA, King's Quest 2 VGA, etc?

Post by Retrog33k »

I don't know if this question has been asked before or not, if so I'm sorry.... http://www.agdinteractive.com/ is making some great remakes of King's Quest 1, King's Quest 2, and Quest for Glory 2. QFG2 is out, and King's Quest 1 4.0 is coming soon..... Since the original games are supported, is there any plans to add these remakes to ScummVM? Just wondering. Thanks for reading this.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

hmmm, I thought they already were supported?
Retrog33k

Post by Retrog33k »

Jonatan wrote:hmmm, I thought they already were supported?
I just tried QFG2VGA and it's not supported. KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA are not on the site so I can't test them.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The remakes are actually based on another engine, Adventure Game Studio (AGS). There is not going to be any support for them from ScummVM (do a forum search, it has been discussed before)
Retrog33k

Post by Retrog33k »

md5 wrote:The remakes are actually based on another engine, Adventure Game Studio (AGS). There is not going to be any support for them from ScummVM (do a forum search, it has been discussed before)
Oh. Sorry for mentioning it then. I did a forum search previously and did not come up with any results, but it seems to be rather popular as far as point and click adventure news goes, so maybe I searched wrong. Anyways, thanks for the info - hopefully windows won't change so dramatically in the next 10 years or so that programs like these remakes and scummvm will no longer run.
raina

Post by raina »

Even if Windows did change, there's Wine.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Retrog33k wrote:hopefully windows won't change so dramatically in the next 10 years or so that programs like these remakes and scummvm will no longer run.
Since ScummVM is free software, there will hopefully always be someone interested enough to breathe new life into it, if the need arises. Unless something new and more exciting comes along.

I guess AGS is at a slight disadvantage there, but at least it's still being actively developed.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

It would be great if Chris (creator of AGS) would allow his engine to be incorporated into Scummvm so only one 'engine' is needed to run a lot of games..
AGS is a real great engine, and has a lot of amazing and fun free (and some commercial) adventuregames written with it, so if you haven't actually played any of those games, then head over to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/..
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

SuperDre wrote:It would be great if Chris (creator of AGS) would allow his engine to be incorporated into Scummvm so only one 'engine' is needed to run a lot of games..
Not that easy:
1) Last I've heard he still wants AGS to stay closed
2) AGS allows extensions via DLLs, which doesn't exactly lends itself to portability
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

DrMcCoy wrote:Not that easy:
1) Last I've heard he still wants AGS to stay closed
2) AGS allows extensions via DLLs, which doesn't exactly lends itself to portability
1. yeah, that's what I also heard, because he got burned on an older project of him.. And ofcourse not 'opening up' gives him more control on the project himself, I can fully agree on that part.. But maybe for older versions he wouldn't mind now.
2. Well, most games don't use exention dll's except for the 'rain/snow' DLL, which also doesn't work on the linux version of AGS..

But it would be nice if someday he would consider it, as Scummvm is more mature than the ones who burned him on his older project..