CD music/spech in lost in time.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Simplex

CD music/spech in lost in time.

Post by Simplex »

I bought Lost in Time CD version on ebay, looks like an original (i compared to photos on mobygames).
In the Scummvm readme I read that it has cd tracks that need to be extracted and converted to mp3 or ogg, etc.
However, there seems to be no cd-audio tracks on the disc whatsoever. There is only one session on disc and it has around 50 megs - these are all the files on the disc.

Info from ImgBurn:
TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0 - 24540)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 24539)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 24540)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, TS: 24540, LRA: 0)
I copied all files from cd to hard disk and run scummvm. I do not have any sound and I noticed error messages in the background - files not found:
COMMUN.STK, TOME1.STK, TOME2.STK - I wonder why they are missing if I supposedly have full game. Have I been cheated on ebay and sold a pirated game (the disc definitelly looks pressed, not burned)?
I hope someone played with Lost In Time CD and will be able to help me.

EDIT;
I do not know if this is relevant, but I also did not see any intro - right after the title screen I was at the ship.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: CD music/spech in lost in time.

Post by DrMcCoy »

Simplex wrote:However, there seems to be no cd-audio tracks on the disc whatsoever.
:/
Simplex wrote:There is only one session on disc and it has around 50 megs
Which is consistent with the CD version. The floppy version has around 18MB worth of files.
Simplex wrote:I copied all files from cd to hard disk and run scummvm. I do not have any sound
ScummVM recognizes it as the CD version, right?
Simplex wrote:and I noticed error messages in the background - files not found:
COMMUN.STK, TOME1.STK, TOME2.STK
These are normal, the scripts probe a bit to look what version you've got.
Simplex wrote: - I wonder why they are missing if I supposedly have full game. Have I been cheated on ebay and sold a pirated game (the disc definitelly looks pressed, not burned)?
Well, these files aren't needed for the CD version or the joint floppy version (I guess thes separate floppy version uses them, but I've never actually seen it anywhere. I don't even know if it works in ScummVM).
But what is missing is the audio track. Quite strange. Since you say that the CD looks pressed and probably also with a correctly cover and such, maybe it's "just" defective? I've never heard of something like that, though.
But I can't really help you there, sorry. :/
Simplex wrote:I do not know if this is relevant, but I also did not see any intro - right after the title screen I was at the ship.
That's normal, Lost in Time does not have any intro.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I bet two cents that the cd tracks are on the cd, but you can't "see" them with just the explorer.

Try loading the cd into iTunes, or better yet, use Exact Audio Copy(they're free) and see what pops up.
chojin

Post by chojin »

My german CD (Sierra Originals, english speech) contains 2 tracks:
1. Data 04:38 / 46.77 MByte
2. Audio 52:47 / 532.93 MByte

As shown in Audiograbber. The Audio-Content is recognized by Vista.
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

While I was writing my reply to the first post, two replies appeared so I put them here, above the original reply to the first post:
Jonatan wrote:I bet two cents that the cd tracks are on the cd, but you can't "see" them with just the explorer.
Try loading the cd into iTunes, or better yet, use Exact Audio Copy(they're free) and see what pops up.
I know tracks are not visible in Explorer. I used ImgBurn to see the contents of the CD (i.e. how many tracks are there) - there is only one track on the CD, which is the 'data' track with all the files. There is no other track present, therefore there is no audio. I know that probability of this happening is low, but it happened, and of course it had to happen to me ;)
chojin wrote:My german CD (Sierra Originals, english speech) contains 2 tracks:
1. Data 04:38 / 46.77 MByte
2. Audio 52:47 / 532.93 MByte

As shown in Audiograbber. The Audio-Content is recognized by Vista.
Thanks for info! Would you like to be my savior? :) Could I kindly ask you to compress the files into mp3, ogg, or whatever you prefer and host them somewhere for me to download? If you want I can provide hosting space.
Also, I can provide proof that I bought (hopefully) original game on ebay.

@DrMcCoy:
Thanks for a quick reply.
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:I copied all files from cd to hard disk and run scummvm. I do not have any sound
ScummVM recognizes it as the CD version, right?
The list of files is as follows:

Code: Select all

1993-10-07  22:47         5,962,538 BATCOM.ITK
1993-10-07  22:51            74,549 BATCOM.LTK
1993-04-05  12:26            21,880 CAT2.INF
1993-04-10  21:41            21,880 CAT3.INF
1993-04-05  14:23            21,880 CAT4.INF
1993-10-07  22:46         1,747,972 COMMUN1.ITK
1993-10-07  22:50            21,171 COMMUN1.LTK
1993-08-18  19:51            15,840 INSTALL.ASK
1993-11-06  14:33             1,048 INSTALL.INF
1993-10-19  15:31         4,831,170 INTRO.STK
1993-10-04  16:46             7,836 LOST.LIC
1993-11-06  15:45               180 MDO.DEF
1993-10-07  22:41         3,502,260 PARTIE1.ITK
1993-10-07  22:47            39,984 PARTIE1.LTK
1993-10-07  22:43        13,708,948 PARTIE2.ITK
1993-10-07  22:49           145,934 PARTIE2.LTK
1993-11-13  06:30         6,226,504 PARTIE3.ITK
1993-11-13  11:39           149,600 PARTIE3.LTK
1993-11-13  14:12         5,063,452 PARTIE4.ITK
1993-11-13  15:46            81,011 PARTIE4.LTK
1993-04-28  15:01            27,935 SETUP.CMP
1993-11-06  15:44                32 VERSION
When I point to the directory of the files SCUMMVM asks me to choose a version, the choices revolve around languages:
Lost in Time (DOS/English (US))
Lost in Time (DOS/French)
etc.
I manually chose English US version because I got the game from US. Nowhere in the name it is indicated that this is a CD version. I suspect it is not a good sign that SCUMMVM is unable to detect the game automatically and has to ask me choose a correct version.
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:and I noticed error messages in the background - files not found:
COMMUN.STK, TOME1.STK, TOME2.STK
These are normal, the scripts probe a bit to look what version you've got.
That's a bit comforting - at least no files are missing.
DrMcCoy wrote:But what is missing is the audio track. Quite strange. Since you say that the CD looks pressed and probably also with a correctly cover and such, maybe it's "just" defective? I've never heard of something like that, though.
But I can't really help you there, sorry. :/
Perhaps someone reading this thread has another Lost in Time CD version and can
a) confirm that the tracks are there (I may need this as an argument in possible dispute with the Seller)
b) send me ripped mp3 files so I can use them.

I don't really blame the guy who sent it because I doubt he had any idea that the disc is defective. He has good feedback, the shipping was cheap and fast (considering it had to fly over the Big Pond ;) ) CD was very well protected (there was even a soft material inside the cd jewel case to protect the disc) and there was even a handwriten Thank You note inside ;) a nice touch, I doubt an unhonest person would go to such length to con me.
The only suspicious thing may be that the game was only 5 bucks (usually such games are way more expensive), but ebay is literally swamped with 5$ lost in time so I took it in good faith.
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:I do not know if this is relevant, but I also did not see any intro - right after the title screen I was at the ship.
That's normal, Lost in Time does not have any intro.
There is a confusing non sequitur at the beginning of the game because your character says (I read it from the floppy version): "Where am I? The ship... the box... the man..." - I figured these were mentioned in the intro. Perhaps they are mentioned in the manual.

Last gripe I have - I guess the CD version is supposed to have audio speech, so it does not have subtitles - anyone knows if it is possible to enable them in the cd version?

As a curiosity, I compared files from CD and floppy version, I noticed some files had same names but on the CD version they were bigger. I copied these files from CD to floppy version and I noticed that the quality of the "movies" improved - just an interesting factoid :)
Last edited by Simplex on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I think this is bordering on violating forum rule #0...
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

I do not support piracy, I ordered the game from another continent to be legit, but if Staff thinks I am in violation of the rules please edit violating fragments of my post.
chojin

Post by chojin »

Just an idea: Maybe a good old standalone CD-Player can read the audio, so you can grab it via Line In? But I'm not sure what will happen, if the track is not 100 percent in sync with the "game timecodes".
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

It won't work because the audio track is not actually physically present on the disc.
I contacted the seller and will see what his response is.

If there is anyone out there who thinks he can help me with this problem, please PM me. Thanks.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Simplex wrote:I suspect it is not a good sign that SCUMMVM is unable to detect the game automatically and has to ask me choose a correct version.
No, that's normal. The CD version is multi-lingual.
For non-English languages, there's text in addition to the English speech.

I did think the GUI would also state "CD" somewhere, but I'm apparently mistaken.
Simplex wrote:b) send me ripped mp3 files so I can use them.
No can do, forum rule #0. Sorry.
Simplex wrote:There is a confusing non sequitur at the beginning of the game because your character says (I read it from the floppy version): "Where am I? The ship... the box... the man..." - I figured these were mentioned in the intro. Perhaps they are mentioned in the manual.
This part is spoken in the CD version. And yes, there's no real further explanation (yet), since you awake with a headache and a bit of a memory loss. The manual does give you more background, though.
Simplex wrote:Last gripe I have - I guess the CD version is supposed to have audio speech, so it does not have subtitles - anyone knows if it is possible to enable them in the cd version?
Not for English, no. If you can read any of the other languages, yes. But English subtitles are not included in the data files.
Simplex wrote:As a curiosity, I compared files from CD and floppy version, I noticed some files had same names but on the CD version they were bigger. I copied these files from CD to floppy version and I noticed that the quality of the "movies" improved - just an interesting factoid :)
I'd advice against that, there's a good possibility that this will lead to crashes later on.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Simplex wrote:I do not support piracy, I ordered the game from another continent to be legit, but if Staff thinks I am in violation of the rules please edit violating fragments of my post.
I do not mean to appear hostile.

It's just that from previous experience with cases like this, the moderators do not allow the trading of gamedata over this forums, regardless of weather the receiver already owns a legitimate copy of the game.

However, there is the enhanced music project which hosts soundtracks for some of the games, but those are based of of midi. I do not really know what the stance is on distributing soundtracks. I'm just saying.
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Jonatan, I did not think your behaviour was hostile. And also you are right about the rules.
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:b) send me ripped mp3 files so I can use them.
No can do, forum rule #0. Sorry.
It is also forbidden to ask for game loan? (I read the rules, I did not see explicit forbidding of it).
Not that I am optimistic, but there is still an infinitesmal chance someone would be willing to lend his game - unless of course, it is also forbidden.
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:Last gripe I have - I guess the CD version is supposed to have audio speech, so it does not have subtitles - anyone knows if it is possible to enable them in the cd version?
Not for English, no. If you can read any of the other languages, yes. But English subtitles are not included in the data files.
That's really bad news because it makes my version completely unusable without the audio :( Do you know which files hold the subtitles in other languages?
DrMcCoy wrote:This part is spoken in the CD version. And yes, there's no real further explanation (yet), since you awake with a headache and a bit of a memory loss. The manual does give you more background, though.
I saw a file Intro.stk - this made me think I missed the intro ;)
DrMcCoy wrote:
Simplex wrote:As a curiosity, I compared files from CD and floppy version, I noticed some files had same names but on the CD version they were bigger. I copied these files from CD to floppy version and I noticed that the quality of the "movies" improved - just an interesting factoid :)
I'd advice against that, there's a good possibility that this will lead to crashes later on.
I suspected that much, it was just a crazy experiment "let's see if that even works". If it did, I could have at least small advantage from my otherwise unusable CD version.
Koru-chan

Post by Koru-chan »

That's really bad news because it makes my version completely unusable without the audio :( Do you know which files hold the subtitles in other languages?
If someone can answer this, I might be able to manage to edit one of the language subtitle files into English. I'd be willing to do that work if it helped anyone.
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

It would definitely help me, so if you could do that I would be grateful :)
Koru-chan

Post by Koru-chan »

The audio works fine on my version of Lost in Time, so I could easily type out the script.