Subtitle Speed Options

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sykotik

Subtitle Speed Options

Post by sykotik »

I would like to know the difference between the In-Game options for the subtitles speed and the Main Menu's option for subtitles speed.

Main menu states 60, while In-Game states 2. So how do they correspond, does 60 mean 60ms and 2 is the option for inbetween 60ms? Or how does it really work?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Subtitle Speed Options

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sykotik wrote: Main menu states 60, while In-Game states 2. So how do they correspond, does 60 mean 60ms and 2 is the option for inbetween 60ms? Or how does it really work?
It probably depends on the game. For the SCUMM games, I think it sets a variable that says something like "this many 'ticks' for each character in the text", whatever a 'tick' is. Other games may use a different method. For some it could be "the lower the faster", for others "the higher the faster". I haven't actually checked, though.
sykotik

Post by sykotik »

thanks for the reply, but why is it that the main menu and the game has different options? im currently playing MI2 i'm just wondering why one is 2 digits and the other is just a single.

but just changing the one in-game works for me tho. just curiosity i guess. lol
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sykotik wrote:thanks for the reply, but why is it that the main menu and the game has different options? im currently playing MI2 i'm just wondering why one is 2 digits and the other is just a single.
A presentation thing, I guess. The main ScummVM options dialog shouldn't know anything about individual games, so it has its own scale (probably the exact number stored in the ScummVM configuration problem). The SCUMM engine presents this value as a number between 0 and 9. I don't know why that particular interval was chosen.