Quick question regarding Maniac Mansion

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Quick question regarding Maniac Mansion

Post by marzipan »

Did the original game ever allow you to quit at all?

Tried out the enhanced version in DOSBox for instance and it seems I can't find the right key-command to quit out - if one even exists!

Of course it quits fine under ScummVM - but then I think ScummVM's quit function is more a forced/cold general quit independent from the game or engine (since it works with all titles), right?

The classic version of the game bundled with DOTT quits without a problem (and also without prompting) - no clue if this worked in the original retail release however.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

I'm reasonably certain it did. Ctrl-C always worked for me on my old V1 copy.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Aaaaahhh, I seem to have discovered something. If you run Maniac Mansion (or indeed Zak McKracken) on a real DOS environment (or just run it natively under XP et al), Ctrl-C works then. But under DOSBox, the same command does nothing. I'll try asking Qbic (or anybody else) for the reason as to why this is so.
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

<Alt> + X will probably work too.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

zorbid wrote:<Alt> + X will probably work too.
Not in the Enhanced version it doesn't.

Plus, I think I've learnt one thing - when MM was bundled with DOTT, it received an updated interpreter (dated '93) that at the very least allowed Alt+X to work as a quit function. If I'm to believe correctly, the original classic version didn't have this, right?