Tinkering with ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AlaraMoonrunner

Tinkering with ScummVM

Post by AlaraMoonrunner »

Would I be able to look at the code with CodeLite?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Assuming you are talking about the ScummVM source code, then you can look at it with any text editor, or even MS Word if you wanted to (for some obscure reason ;). Google tells me that CodeLite is a C++ IDE, so it should be able to display the ScummVM source files just fine.

However, I have no idea whether CodeLite can compile ScummVM, or how, never having used it.
AlaraMoonrunner

Ah, ok. I've been looking at a tutorial for C++ as I'm interested in helping out.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

AlaraMoonrunner wrote:Ah, ok. I've been looking at a tutorial for C++ as I'm interested in helping out.
You need to forget about ScummVM for little while then.
FIRST get familiar with C++ so that you can write your own small apps, THEN start looking at ScummVM code. There is no way stuff will make any sense otherwise.
You also will want to get familiar with the SDL libraries because they are the foundation under ScummVM on most platforms.
fingolfin wrote:Assuming you are talking about the ScummVM source code, then you can look at it with any text editor, or even MS Word if you wanted to (for some obscure reason ;).
A capable programmer and Mac fan suggests looking at source code in MS Word.... So the apocalypse IS upon us after all...
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

For just reading through source code I'd suggest Notepad++. It's fairly intuitive.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

bobdevis wrote:
fingolfin wrote:Assuming you are talking about the ScummVM source code, then you can look at it with any text editor, or even MS Word if you wanted to (for some obscure reason ;).
A capable programmer and Mac fan suggests looking at source code in MS Word.... So the apocalypse IS upon us after all...
I never suggested to use MS Word -- I just pointed out that it is possible :-).
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

fingolfin wrote:I never suggested to use MS Word -- I just pointed out that it is possible :-).
Come to that, you could probably view the code using an early version of WordPerfect via DOSBox...but only someone with serious mental problems would want to. :?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:
fingolfin wrote:I never suggested to use MS Word -- I just pointed out that it is possible :-).
Come to that, you could probably view the code using an early version of WordPerfect via DOSBox...but only someone with serious mental problems would want to. :?
This is how I edit for ScummVM. :)
AlaraMoonrunner

I can read that, but at the same time I think my brain just broke...
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

clone2727 wrote:This is how I edit for ScummVM. :)
Reminds me of this Xkcd comic. :lol: