ScummVM Media Center Plugin

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kincaid

ScummVM Media Center Plugin

Post by Kincaid »

Hi, I just installed Maximus Arcade to my Media Center to play some old games in my living room. Maximus Arcade can start an emulator and load a rom automatically, so I can choose the games comfortably direct from Windows Media Center. Now i wonder if theres something similar for ScummVM? It would be great if I don't have to close the Media Center and open ScummVM but choose the Scumm Games directly out of the Media Center.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

From the program's site, it seems that it only supports direct game launching from specific emulators and interpreters (MAME being one of them). You'd better ask them for ScummVM support, the launcher is their software :)
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

md5 wrote:From the program's site, it seems that it only supports direct game launching from specific emulators and interpreters (MAME being one of them). You'd better ask them for ScummVM support, the launcher is their software :)
Sorry, you missunderstood me, i didn't thought about launching scumm games via maximus arcade, i wondered if theres a specific plugin for scummvm. But now as you say it it would be even better to launch scumm games in maximus arcade then in another plugin, i'll go and ask the devs if scummvm implementation is planned. Thx. :D

Nevertheless, if someone knows of a possibility to launch scumm games directly in media center just let me know.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Googling "maximus arcade" reveals that this software is about arcade and console emulation. Doesn't sound as if ScummVM would fit in there, so I'd be surprised if they were to add an interface to ScummVM.

Anyway, I am pretty sure no Media Center plugin for accessing ScummVM exists. First off, we likely would have heard of it, secondly, google reveals none ;). Neither is a proof, of course; all I am saying is that it is very unlikely.
tobybear

Post by tobybear »

Well, Maximus Arcade is a frontend that can also call simple windows batch files. I use it personally to start all my Windows games like GTA4, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Burnout, etc. from within this frontend by just calling different batch files that then run the specific game exe - very easy to set up.

You can do just the same with ScummVM: just link from within Maximus Arcade to a batch file that calls ScummVM.
You can either just call the ScummVM.exe without command line parameters, then the regular ScummVM GUI will be displayed and you can choose the game to start from there.

Or you create a specific batch file for each game within ScummMVM that calls the ScummVM executable with a command line parameter to automatically start this specific game. (I think this is what Kincaid originally asked/wanted to do).
Here is the (again very simple) info on how to do that in ScummVM:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... mmand_line

This same procedure should also be possible within Media Center.