Urban Runner Support

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Urban Runner Support

Post by clone2727 »

Happy April Fools' Day!

Today, we would like to announce support for Urban Runner! The game has finally reached a completable state in our subversion tree. Now you can play as Max as he runs from the cops for being accused of a crime he didn't commit. You might even fall in love along the way.

We would really appreciate it if you would go and test this game for us. When you find bugs, go report them here. When you have questions about reporting bugs, go here. Also, if you need a daily build, be sure to check out this page.

We have also collected a group of screenshots:
Last edited by clone2727 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julien
ScummVM Developer

Mmmh, I wonder who's going to work on those bug reports...

Post by Julien »

Oh, someone is going to be very happy see this (not really :twisted:)
Collector

Post by Collector »

The character in the screenshots is a different actor than the one in my copy. I also noticed that it says "Karl" with the title. This combined with the fact that it gives me the message "This game has audio tracks in its disk..." when my copy has a 400 to over 500 MB ITK file on each disc. It makes me wonder if you have a very different version. The game does start after the warning message, though. Also, is CD1.STK required? There are no cooresponding files on any of the other CDs. Otherwise I am assuming that all *.ITK files and INTRO.STK are the needed data files.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Absolutely brilliant! Well done! :D I never expected to see Dr. Mc... erm, Urban Runner in a completable state!
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Collector wrote: It makes me wonder if you have a very different version.
I think the screenshots are from the Directors Cut DVD version with Force Feedback, 7.1 audio and multimonitor support. It's pretty rare and will be hard to get on Ebay.

Shame they had to change the actor because Brandon Massey was not available for the refilming of the CGI enhanced action scenes.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

The last time I tried this with ScummVM, at least 6 months ago, the furthest I got was where you need to start a fire in a wastepaper basket. The game would freeze when trying to light the match.
I can't find my savegame so it looks like I'll have to go from the start again.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

That 3rd screen shot cracked me up :lol:

I will be looking forward to playing my super-enhanced 3d collector's special edition of Urban Runner!
Mud

Post by Mud »

Hahaha. :lol:
Morden

Post by Morden »

Collector wrote:The character in the screenshots is a different actor than the one in my copy.
Maybe you have this version?

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Damned it, I've missed that scene when I played it... You must have found a very well hidden path in the game!
Morden

Post by Morden »

That's the scene right after Karl hands over the rescued puppies to David, who is just about to express his gratitude. The scene has been ultimately cut, due to heavy controversy, but in 2001 a beta was leaked.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I should be used to this at my age and especially as 1 April is the day after my birthday. You got me clone.
It was only last Monday that I ended up being too late for the shops as I didn't know of the clock change from the day before.
Oh man :roll:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:I should be used to this at my age and especially as 1 April is the day after my birthday. You got me clone.
It was only last Monday that I ended up being too late for the shops as I didn't know of the clock change from the day before.
Oh man :roll:
Haha! Happy belated birthday! :)

Also: I've put up a bit more about it on my blog.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

clone2727 wrote: Haha! Happy belated birthday! :)

Also: I've put up a bit more about it on my blog.
Thanks.
I got the game, and The Last Dynasty, when I first read about them in relation to ScummVM. Both were cheap on EBay.
I'd never heard of them before and just put them away at the time thinking I'll see what happens.
Then one day I did copy all the files off the discs and stuck them on a SD card to try with Wii ScummVM.
I think it took a couple of hours to get to the point I got to which I previously mentioned. Trying to ignite a match. As for The Last Dynasty I think it crashed as soon as the intro is over.
Back to Urban Runner - after a couple of hours play I was left hanging wanting more.
After your joke I'm piqued. I think I'll have to install the game on my old Windows XP box. Hopefully it's playable without too much fiddling and tweaking.