Broken Sword 1 & 2 (DVD) on a Mac (set-up question)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dr_robotnik

Broken Sword 1 & 2 (DVD) on a Mac (set-up question)

Post by dr_robotnik »

hey,

i only just found out about scummvm so i'm a complete noob. tried the forum search but i can't find an answer to my problem.

i've just downloaded scummvm 1.2.1 on a powerbook g4 with mac os x and bought the broken sword sold out dvd pack.

how exactly do i install broken sword 1 and 2 - which files do i need for it?
shaun_spark

Post by shaun_spark »

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... e_Templars

Put those files all in one folder, then select it through Add Game in the SCUMMVM menu.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

You need to install the games with wine and then copy the files from where they were installed too. You will also need the dxa videos from here: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras as the Sold out dvd version has the mpeg videos which are not supported any more by ScummVM.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

ezekiel000 wrote:You need to install the games with wine and then copy the files from where they were installed too.
I don't think Wine works on a PowerPC Mac though.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I had a look at the files on the dvd but as far as I can tell there is no way to get the files needed without running the setup program as they are all compressed in *.exe, *.1 and *.2 files.
dr_robotnik

Post by dr_robotnik »

LordHoto wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:You need to install the games with wine and then copy the files from where they were installed too.
I don't think Wine works on a PowerPC Mac though.
thanks for the help everyone.
what is wine and how will i do run the setup programm on a mac? all it says is that it can't find an application to run the .exe files with ?? :(
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

dr_robotnik wrote:what is wine and how will i do run the setup programm on a mac? all it says is that it can't find an application to run the .exe files with ?? :(
Wine is a program that allows you to run windows programs on Linux and OSX but unfortunately it won't work on G4 processors. You could try Darwine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwine

Other than that either someone will have to produce a tool for OSX that will unpack the files you want or your going to need to install it on a Windows PC and copy the files from there.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

dr_robotnik wrote:thanks for the help everyone.
what is wine and how will i do run the setup programm on a mac? all it says is that it can't find an application to run the .exe files with ?? :(
Like LordHoto said, Wine is not going to work on your old PPC Mac.
What you need is something like Filejuicer to extract the Broken Sword files from the installation .exe file.

Alternatively, you could borrow someones Windows computer to install the Broken Sword games and then copy everything that was installed onto your Mac.

The only other option I can think of involves installing Windows inside Bochs, this requires quite some skill though.
dr_robotnik

Post by dr_robotnik »

bobdevis wrote:
What you need is something like Filejuicer to extract the Broken Sword files from the installation .exe file.

Alternatively, you could borrow someones Windows computer to install the Broken Sword games and then copy everything that was installed onto your Mac.

The only other option I can think of involves installing Windows inside Bochs, this requires quite some skill though.
Skill is certainly not something I consider to be one of my strenghts. :?

I'm on the work PC now and just installed the DVD but it's about 1GB so it's a bit complicated to attach the whole folder to an e-mail and send it to myself.
Is there any easier way to send over the files I have on the computer here to my mac at home?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

dr_robotnik wrote:
bobdevis wrote:

Skill is certainly not something I consider to be one of my strenghts. :?

I'm on the work PC now and just installed the DVD but it's about 1GB so it's a bit complicated to attach the whole folder to an e-mail and send it to myself.
Is there any easier way to send over the files I have on the computer here to my mac at home?
Try a free cloud service, e.g. http://www.dropbox.com/
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Or it could take a while to upload (and your work day might be over so you don't want to hang around) so see if you can get your hands on a USB stick.