SLUDGE 2.0 released

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BigMc

SLUDGE 2.0 released

Post by BigMc »

Hi!

Just wanted to tell you guys that version 2.0 of SLUDGE is now released. SLUDGE is a system to create adventure games, much like AGS. While SLUDGE 1.x was Shareware and available only for Windows, SLUDGE 2.0 is open source and runs also on Linux and Mac OS X!

The homepage is at http://opensludge.sourceforge.net/.

If you want to test it with one of the existing games, I recommend Out Of Order.

Regards, BigMc
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

WOW! This is really great!
And AFAIK, sludge is by far better than ags, which is still locked at game resolution 320x200!
I'm going to play again OutOfOrder, I remember I had a lot of fun! :D

Mmhh does the devkit allow for resource modifications? I mean, is it possible to edit resources (for localization)?
BigMc

Post by BigMc »

topolinik wrote:Mmhh does the devkit allow for resource modifications? I mean, is it possible to edit resources (for localization)?
Games have to be recompiled in order to add new translations.
jdiperla

Post by jdiperla »

topolinik wrote:And AFAIK, sludge is by far better than ags, which is still locked at game resolution 320x200!
Err.. I was gonna let this go, but its been bugging me.. Sludge no doubt is a great engine. V2.0 is awesome and has come a long way. V1.0 itself was amazing and had some great games. Out of Order is a classic in my opinion. I would love to see the Sludge engine implemented into SCUMMVM someday.

But I do want to clear somethings up. Now, this is a matter of personal taste really, but IMO AGS is the supreme game engine. Honestly I think Visionaire and Wintermute come very close, but none surpass AGS. But, in my eyes, feature wise, it surpasses Sludge 2.0 by a long shot.

For one thing, it supports higher resolutions than 320x200... It currently supports: 320x200, 320x240, 640x400, 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, 256 color, 16 bit and 32 bit graphics with alpha blended sprites, all in fullscreen or windowed mode. Its planned for one of the next 2 or 3 releases to allow you to specify any resolution you want for your game.

Unlike Sludge 2.0, AGS has built in Save/Load features for your game. AGS supports plugins and modules and game translations as well as an easy way to implement voice acting and the ability to run another game within a game. AGS has over 800 games to its name as well as 20 commercially released games and a few more in the making. It has ports for Linux and MAC and now that the source will be fully opening up, even more features are planned. Check out this page:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/acfeat.htm
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

jdiperla, I was talking about my own gamer experience. I see the raw facts.
OutOfOrder received awards in 2003 and this means it was released in 2003 (at most). Game resolution is 768x576. Well, in 2003 AGS reached version 2.6 and games were released in 320x200, reaching 640x400 via resizing. That's all.
Of course, now AGS can do much more than 7 years ago, I agree. And AGS has been developed much more than sludge, I agree.
jdiperla wrote: Now, this is a matter of personal taste really,
This is the greatest Truth, so I don't know how Visionaire looks like but let me state that IMO wintermute is the most advanced game engine around, with a great project behind, noticing it's offering its advanced features since its birth. Maybe I only found great-looking games using wintermute. And maybe I only found poorly-looking games using AGS. If so, I'm wrong and the games I will play will bring me to change my mind. One day.
jdiperla wrote: now that the source will be fully opening up, even more features are planned.
Mmmh?
I can only read this in FAQ:
Q. Then can I have the source code, to port it myself?
A. Sorry, AGS is not open-source. There are many reasons for this which I will not go into here. The main two are:
(1) I made another application open-source in the past, and someone took it, changed the copyright and tried to release it as their own
(2) The AGS file formats are proprietary to make it harder for people to "hack" other people's games. If the source code was available, it would be easy for someone to write some sort of de-compiler for use with other peoples games.

Q. But the GPL will protect you... go on, can I have the source?
A. No it won't. In theory it does, but what happens when someone goes and breaches it? I don't have the time or energy to waste chasing up lamers who have blatantly ignored the license agreement. Sorry.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

topolnik, look here.

Eugene
Collector

Post by Collector »

These days, even 640x480 is ridiculously small, but what I don't understand is why 320x200 or 640x400? On modern monitors they will not display the right aspect. It is why both DOSBox and ScummVM have aspect correction for the old DOS games that used these resolutions.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The graphics card driver actually has aspect ratio correction where it letterboxes or pillarboxes the stuff while sending the image data as monitor-native-resolution.

It is not the default so it has to be activated.
Collector

Post by Collector »

tbaher wrote:The graphics card driver actually has aspect ratio correction where it letterboxes or pillarboxes the stuff while sending the image data as monitor-native-resolution.

It is not the default so it has to be activated.
Not everyone plays full screen. It is a silly resolution for a "modern" engine to support.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

sev wrote:topolnik, look here.

Eugene
Well, this is a great piece of news, long life to graphic adventures!
This means (when the opening will happen) more and more games will be available on any OS/platform/device!